FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: failed smog

My VIN:    nov 81 6900-

with "no ppm " being high possible carbon build up? any issue running seafoam spray through the intake? supposed to spray can while holding rpm up until can is empty..
    not sure what it will do on bosch kjet.

I have a can ready waiting for someone to tell me not to do it........

Thanks..

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by glockworks21 View Post
    with "no ppm " being high possible carbon build up? any issue running seafoam spray through the intake? supposed to spray can while holding rpm up until can is empty..

Thanks..
    I see no harm in trying Seafoam but I doubt it will make a difference. You are "shooting in the dark" trying this and that. I gave you the advice you need to follow. Because Cali is so tough you have to make sure EVERYTHING is working just so. A Delorean can easily pass but it has to be running right. A leaking vacuum hose, a bad pattern on an injector, a damaged cat, a tight valve, all of that (and anything else) can cause you to fail. Maybe it's time to take it to a shop and let them figure it out. For all of the time and money already spent you could have gone to a shop for less and been done with it.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    03572

Thanks..
    I have run fuel additives hoping to fix problems. No harm was done but not typical it fixes anything. I see google searches show everything can increase affect smog testing. But i did see lean mentioned quit often.
    Last edited by Bitsyncmaster; 09-13-2023 at 04:51 PM.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

I had similarly high levels of O2, CO, and NO in my exhaust on my first emissions test. My car was also classified as a "gross polluter." I had already done a basic tune-up (replaced the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor), but the problem was still a lean condition caused by a vacuum leak. I didn't know the leak was as significant as it was, but it was coming from the top of the idle speed motor through the seal. I only found out about it after I introduced smoke into the system.

The high NO level could be caused by the lean condition. Make sure that the "pipe of agony" is seated and sealed against the intake. The mixture adjustment hole should also be sealed if it has been drilled/messed with.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

WTH???
    ...We don't have to deal with the tests here, but if I'm reading them right, it looks like everything for high RPM is worse while the low RPM is better than the 8/30 test now (after replacing the cat)...And most of the last results are between the first two at low RPM...And now failing CO...

And why does the 8/30 test show 25 mph @ 1545 RPM" when the others show "25 mph 24XX RPM.
    Is it an auto?

Did you change the oil since it overheated? Was it "gassy"?

Does it smoke at all?

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    I see no harm in trying Seafoam but I doubt it will make a difference. You are "shooting in the dark" trying this and that. I gave you the advice you need to follow. Because Cali is so tough you have to make sure EVERYTHING is working just so. A Delorean can easily pass but it has to be running right. A leaking vacuum hose, a bad pattern on an injector, a damaged cat, a tight valve, all of that (and anything else) can cause you to fail. Maybe it's time to take it to a shop and let them figure it out. For all of the time and money already spent you could have gone to a shop for less and been done with it.

I am absolulty taking your advise.. everyones advice.. thank you very all very much. the seafoam directly into the engine while running was my just an option to break up carbon buildup as im told that could be issue also. I Just smoke tested it again and there is only a little leaking around the injectors. which it always did. I dont like the spray pattern on the injectors, some of them seem to have more of a stream mixed in with atomized spray, Im guessing they should just look like a mist.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    WTH???
    ...We don't have to deal with the tests here, but if I'm reading them right, it looks like everything for high RPM is worse while the low RPM is better than the 8/30 test now (after replacing the cat)...And most of the last results are between the first two at low RPM...And now failing CO...

And why does the 8/30 test show 25 mph @ 1545 RPM" when the others show "25 mph 24XX RPM.
    Is it an auto?

Did you change the oil since it overheated? Was it "gassy"?

Does it smoke at all?
    5speed.. they tried the test in different gears., they tried to copy it from 2 years ago when it passed.
    I did not change oil when it overheated in garage. I caught it quick. the oil was change less than 500 miles ago. I cant smell any gas on the stick. should I change anyways?

Quote Originally Posted by bytes311 View Post
    I had similarly high levels of O2, CO, and NO in my exhaust on my first emissions test. My car was also classified as a "gross polluter." I had already done a basic tune-up (replaced the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor), but the problem was still a lean condition caused by a vacuum leak. I didn't know the leak was as significant as it was, but it was coming from the top of the idle speed motor through the seal. I only found out about it after I introduced smoke into the system.

The high NO level could be caused by the lean condition. Make sure that the "pipe of agony" is seated and sealed against the intake. The mixture adjustment hole should also be sealed if it has been drilled/messed with.
    no vacuum leak except a small amount around injectors which it always did...... Idle speed motor is new and pipe of agony is in solid.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

5speed.. they tried the test in different gears., they tried to copy it from 2 years ago when it passed.
    I did not change oil when it overheated in garage. I caught it quick. the oil was change less than 500 miles ago. I cant smell any gas on the stick. should I change anyways?
    FWIW- If is was an auto, I would of suggested checking its vacuum line for leaks/sucking fluid...

Bad oil can definitely make it fail...if during the 500 miles it was running way rich (or anything like an injector, CSV, etc. had a high chance of polluting it), I would.

======

I'd seal up those injector leaks, whatever it took. A vacuum leak can throw several systems off...

I just don't get it high RPM test worse after a new cat...

I'd disconnect the cat before doing the Seafoam. (If buildup is all that bad, you know where it is going...right into the new cat).

Is it possible the vacuum is leaking up front at the brake booster?

Just grabbing straws.

Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast