FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Thread: failed smog

My VIN:    nov 81

Quote Originally Posted by bytes311 View Post
    How's your coolant level? Has it taken a noticeable drop since you last checked it?

no drop in level

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by bytes311 View Post
    How's your coolant level? Has it taken a noticeable drop since you last checked it?
    Kinda difficult to tell but it looks white witch is coolant.
    Could be the start of a bad head gasket.
    You can do a compression test. Best to do it dry and then a wet test when cool.
    You can also do a test for exhaust gases in the cooling system. Most autozone places rent the tool but you have to buy the testing fluid it's like 10 bucks or so. There are many YouTube videos on how to do this, it's extremely easy.

If the exhaust is bluish than you have bigger problems.

Dave B.

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    Kinda difficult to tell but it looks white witch is coolant.
    Could be the start of a bad head gasket.
    You can do a compression test. Best to do it dry and then a wet test when cool.
    You can also do a test for exhaust gases in the cooling system. Most autozone places rent the tool but you have to buy the testing fluid it's like 10 bucks or so. There are many YouTube videos on how to do this, it's extremely easy.

If the exhaust is bluish than you have bigger problems.

Dave B.

Its coolant... I took it to someone. I turn it off hot and let it sit for 3-5 minutes. as soon as i start it back up its a nice white cloud that goes away after a few seconds... I cant imagine it will pass smog with coolant burning through. I dont even want to try. Its out of my league now. I will register non op as im out of time and dont want any late fees on top of everything else.. Im officially defeated and done.....

thanks everyone for your help...

Quote Originally Posted by glockworks21 View Post
    Its coolant... I took it to someone. I turn it off hot and let it sit for 3-5 minutes. as soon as i start it back up its a nice white cloud that goes away after a few seconds... I cant imagine it will pass smog with coolant burning through. I dont even want to try. Its out of my league now. I will register non op as im out of time and dont want any late fees on top of everything else.. Im officially defeated and done.....

thanks everyone for your help...

i drained some of the oil to do a crackle test... no need... it has the consistancy of soup broth.

on waiting list for dmc tx as of about 5 minutes ago... they are 4 months out... will ship and have them go through everything...

My VIN:    16409

You should reach out to Clint Wolf. He can do the repair work. He be cheaper and won?t take a year of waiting. He’s an actual car mechanic and DeLorean owner.
    Last edited by Chris 16409; 09-28-2023 at 09:34 PM.
    Chris Miles

For Better or Worse I own a DeLorean!
    1983 Grey Manual, VIN #16409, Fresno, California

Quote Originally Posted by Chris 16409 View Post
    You should reach out to Clint Wolf. He can do the repair work. He be cheaper and won?t take a year of waiting. He?s an actual car mechanic and DeLorean owner.
    thanks.. rich recommended also.. ive reached out.

coolant

all dry look about the same...

except the one.... pass side firewall....

Dave...
    Attached Images

update

Thanks to Dave S. giving me some time on the phone and Rich for the push I was able to get the head gasket done myself. I got stuck a couple times but all seems well with that repair. Im still keeping my name on waiting list though. All has been working well for the last week or so... Back to smog today.. Failed again. They were slow and let me adjust fuel mix while there and ran it again. it didnt make enough of a difference running lean or rich. NOPPM is 2x what it should be. the factory cat was hollow. The dgo cat made a difference but not near enough. im guessing that my next and last only option before shipping it to delorean in a few months is to try and get a factory cat? the little adjustments are not making any kind of difference.,

new plugs, wires, o2, cat, all vaccum lines, injectors, fuel lines, and im sure 10 other things im forgetting...
    Attached Images

pic

pic
    Attached Images

Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast