FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: failed smog

My VIN:    03572

It seems like your O2 sensor is not working with it holding 22 (on 8 cylinder scale). It normally takes the engine warming up the O2 about 3 minuets or more at idle. The lambda ECU is waiting for the O2 impedance to go below 2 M/ohm (gets hot). Normally with our engine which runs rich cold the O2 outputs voltage above 0.5 volts after it warms up. When the engine is lean the O2 voltage drops below 0.5 volts.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    nov 81

replace the 02 sensor this morning and it started swinging again. I got the fuel mixture right. Idle is smooth.
    Took it back for the re test and got the same result. gross polluter.. none of the numbers changed from the test a few days ago..
    it passed easily 2 years ago.
    Their only thoughts are o2 or cat.. I know a couple of you mentioned in this thread it may be the cat.. at this point what else could it be?
    there were few miles put on this car over the years before i got it., Ive put about 3k on it in last 2 years. I dont know enough about catalytic converters. 39k on car I dont know what to do at this point..

I dont even see any for sale

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

The mileage doesn't count here as much as the age of the CAT. The honeycomb-like contents inside the converter probably has crumbled and no longer filters anything from the exhaust gases.

Here's one option: https://www.deloreango.com/us/catalytic-converter.html

I bet if you gave DMC California, Northwest, or Midwest a call they will have some options available too.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    The mileage doesn't count here as much as the age of the CAT. The honeycomb-like contents inside the converter probably has crumbled and no longer filters anything from the exhaust gases.

Here's one option: https://www.deloreango.com/us/catalytic-converter.html

I bet if you gave DMC California, Northwest, or Midwest a call they will have some options available too.
    I emailed arran about that one. I dont know enough about cats.. Its less restrictive but will it be enough to pass in ca? If that works I will order it. the smaller size will be nice to reinstall. Getting the old one out looks like hell.

thanks.

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Removing the CAT isn't so bad if you're not trying to save it. Dispense with niceties, take a cut off tool, slice the studs off and cut the U-clamp. Smack with a hammer if necessary, pull it off, done.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    Removing the CAT isn't so bad if you're not trying to save it. Dispense with niceties, take a cut off tool, slice the studs off and cut the U-clamp. Smack with a hammer if necessary, pull it off, done.

Thanks I planned on cutting it out. Im going to order the dgo euro one, If it works then at least we have an answer what will pass in california.
    on the bright side i will be able to change the motor mount on that side that ive had for months...

Thanks again..
    I will update smog specs when done,

i didnt have to cut anything out.. this cat is hollow.. there is no way it would have pass emmisions 2 years ago. do they deteriorate and all the debris go into the muffler? Sorry if thats a stupid question. I think im going to just replace muffler also.. thoughts?
    Attached Images

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by glockworks21 View Post
    i didnt have to cut anything out.. this cat is hollow.. there is no way it would have pass emmisions 2 years ago. do they deteriorate and all the debris go into the muffler? Sorry if thats a stupid question. I think im going to just replace muffler also.. thoughts?
    I don't think it would be clean like that without the PO doing a hollow out work. How it passed before is a mystery. Yes you would have some chunks of CAT in the muffler if the CAT broke up. You should drop the muffler and shake it to make sure it is clean.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

I have heard of cars passing after the cat is removed or gutted. Wasn?t a Delorean and I?m not sure how they adjusted them. But it is possible. My best advice is to move out of commiefornia. (I know, no help)

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast