FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: "medium warm" start issues, minor oil leak

"medium warm" start issues, minor oil leak

Finally getting some good seat time in on #5173 after what I would consider a full restoration, and I only have 2 outlier issues to get this car to "done".

1-if the car is cold, it fires perfectly. if the car is HOT, it fires very well. if I drive the car for maybe 5-10 minutes, so it's not hot just merely warm, the car will take close to 20-30 seconds of cranking to begrudgingly start. any theories? basically everything in the fuel delivery system/spark system is new or rebuilt.

2-minor oil leak either at the oil pressure sending unit, or what i assume to be the timing chain cover(up a few inches and towards the center of the car). are there common leak locations around there? thanks for the help!

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by rjd2 View Post
    Finally getting some good seat time in on #5173 after what I would consider a full restoration, and I only have 2 outlier issues to get this car to "done".

1-if the car is cold, it fires perfectly. if the car is HOT, it fires very well. if I drive the car for maybe 5-10 minutes, so it's not hot just merely warm, the car will take close to 20-30 seconds of cranking to begrudgingly start. any theories? basically everything in the fuel delivery system/spark system is new or rebuilt.

2-minor oil leak either at the oil pressure sending unit, or what i assume to be the timing chain cover(up a few inches and towards the center of the car). are there common leak locations around there? thanks for the help!
    1- Not holding rest pressure. The CSV isn't firing because it is just hot enough so it won't. During a cold start it does. Could be the PPR, the fuel accumulator, or the check valve in the fuel pump (could also be a leak but you would have noticed it).

2- Probably the oil pressure sensor for the low oil light on the driver's side. Very common. Either reseal it or replace it. If the wire is all crunchy and burnt up either replace it with a high temp insulated wire or just put a high temp sleeve over it where it runs down the side of the motor.
    David Teitelbaum