FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Where for art thou reverse

My VIN:    07164

Club(s):   (DCH)

Lightbulb Where for art thou reverse

Hi Folks, full Tub off Chassis refurb is virtually finished. I have also checked the clutch, changed the oil seal behind the clutch and re-assembled.

Its all back together, get it running.... drive out into the yard in first..... yeah baby... first time in 3 years....

Come to pop it back and I couldn't get into reverse..... then I could but it was still going forward.

What in gods name have I messed up on re-assemble. I am praying its something simple in the linkage perhaps.

I am sure I am actually getting into reverse from the gearstick perspective but its just going forwards in reverse gear.

The answer is going to make or break my weekend. If I have to separate the engine/gearbox again I will be suicidal.... but I cant think of anything there relating to reverse.

My VIN:    03572

There is no synchro for reverse. So on my car it may take a "double clutch" every so often to get reverse. You do know you have to lift up on the gear lever to get reverse? You may need a linkage adjustment. You adjust that so you get both reverse and 5th gear. If not centered you don't get both.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    There is no synchro for reverse. So on my car it may take a "double clutch" every so often to get reverse. You do know you have to lift up on the gear lever to get reverse? You may need a linkage adjustment. You adjust that so you get both reverse and 5th gear. If not centered you don't get both.
    Thanks Dave, yeahh I have driven it before so know what reverse is like... What I cant figure out is how I am getting it selected and its going forward. I could fathom not getting it in gear or having it selected not making me go backwards due to linkage but not it going forward in reverse.
    Last edited by er1c; 09-03-2023 at 10:06 AM.

Location:  Burnsville MN-Moving to Kalispell MT. in June 20111

My VIN:    2691

ring gear?

did you take transmission apart? [stick I presume]
    is ring gear backwards? book is wrong...

Quote Originally Posted by SS Spoiler View Post
    did you take transmission apart? [stick I presume]
    is ring gear backwards? book is wrong...
    No, I just separated the transmission from the engine for the clutch. I recall reading if I followed the book I would have 5 reverse and 1 forward so its not that. At least I would be able to get that back in the garage

Yes Manual..

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by er1c View Post
    Thanks Dave, yeahh I have driven it before so know what reverse is like... What I cant figure out is how I am getting it selected and its going forward. I could fathom not getting it in gear or having it selected not making me go backwards due to linkage but not it going forward in reverse.
    I get that forward sometimes when I think it went into reverse. I've learned to always back out slow, looking out the side window. That quickly shows me if I'm moving in the correct direction.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

No need to yank the transmission.

You are probably shifting into 2nd when you try for reverse.

Adjust the shifter cross gate cable. Use the workshop manual or this video. You will get reverse back.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I get that forward sometimes when I think it went into reverse. I've learned to always back out slow, looking out the side window. That quickly shows me if I'm moving in the correct direction.
    I do this exact thing. I have adjusted my linkage/cable and it still gets second some times. If I pull the boot off and watch, it never goes to second.

To the OP, Definitely, don?t be popping the clutch in reverse until you know it?s in reverse

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by er1c View Post
    Hi Folks, full Tub off Chassis refurb is virtually finished. I have also checked the clutch, changed the oil seal behind the clutch and re-assembled.

This is the video most people reference for cross gate adjustment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ng6-l2fhPXw

In addition, I hadn't push down the sound deadener fully, so it was impeding the reverse position.

My VIN:    Early

I know he didn't open transmission, but for anyone in future that has, you can accidentally put the trans together and not get reverse fork properly set in place. Will have all sorts of problems. Also best way to verify before install is shift transmission on bench and check for correct rotation and function.

Back on topic.
    If cross gate cable is set correctly, then it sounds like OP isn't lifting up and over to left hard enough. You can feel it go to reverse as it clunks (no synchro).
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast