FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Rear license plate surround

My VIN:    03572

Rear license plate surround

On my car the lower right screw holding the license plate surround on was over tightened and damaged the surround at the screw hole. I've seen this on many cars (same hole). Anyway, I was fixing that damage with fiberglass and epoxy and noticed that the license plate sits higher than the surround. I'm wondering if this is the vibration (noise) I get in third gear with hard acceleration. I can see where that right lower corner has worn the black paint off the rear fascia.

I'm thinking of cutting the fascia to provide clearance for those brackets holding the license plate on which stick up the highest. I also think I will fiberglass all four of the surround holes for added strength. Maybe a little foam on the back of the license plate to prevent buzzing.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    On my car the lower right screw holding the license plate surround on was over tightened and damaged the surround at the screw hole. I've seen this on many cars (same hole). Anyway, I was fixing that damage with fiberglass and epoxy and noticed that the license plate sits higher than the surround. I'm wondering if this is the vibration (noise) I get in third gear with hard acceleration. I can see where that right lower corner has worn the black paint off the rear fascia.

I'm thinking of cutting the fascia to provide clearance for those brackets holding the license plate on which stick up the highest. I also think I will fiberglass all four of the surround holes for added strength. Maybe a little foam on the back of the license plate to prevent buzzing.
    The Deloreans originally were delivered with a piece of thin glass to cover the rear license plate. Not many still have it. I make them up out of ordinary thin window glass. Some thin foam tape strategically placed can hold things together so they don't slip or vibrate. On many cars the clips that are supposed to hold the plate are broken or missing. You can make up new ones out of metal or plastic. They never really fit well anyway.
    David Teitelbaum

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Glass/clear covering over the license plate is a terrible idea. It would become a breeding area for moisture and dirt.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Glass/clear covering over the license plate is a terrible idea. It would become a breeding area for moisture and dirt.
    I never had a problem. In fact, in New Jersey it is illegal to cover the license plate. Some people buy a tinted cover that is sold to try to defeat Laser speed detection. I argued with an inspection station about the glass and they agreed that since the glass was factory installed they let me pass. Turns out in their paperwork they saw it was legit. I also had problems with the gas cap. None of their adapters would fit right. The State finally issued a waiver for that test. Now that I have Historical plates I am no longer subject to inspection.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    I suppose most Delorean only get driven in nice weather, so it doesn?t matter. The only time I drive mine in rain is on long trips.

Dave, could you post a pic of your glass setup?

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The Deloreans originally were delivered with a piece of thin glass to cover the rear license plate. Not many still have it. I make them up out of ordinary thin window glass. Some thin foam tape strategically placed can hold things together so they don't slip or vibrate. On many cars the clips that are supposed to hold the plate are broken or missing. You can make up new ones out of metal or plastic. They never really fit well anyway.
    That would make the license plate to stick up even further. I don't see any problem cutting the fascia so it clears the license plate.
    Dave M vin 03572

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    I suppose most Delorean only get driven in nice weather, so it doesn?t matter. The only time I drive mine in rain is on long trips.
    I was speaking of moisture/debris from environment and/or washing. Being is S. FL I drive my car year round - including rain.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My fix for the destroyed screw hole worked out good. I used two layers of 2 or maybe it is 4 oz. glass cloth. I could have done more but since I plan to cut clearance holes in the fascia, you don't need the screws to have any force.

My tape that I used to hold the epoxy pulled the paint off. So I will need to repaint the surround. I plan to use that STEEL IT paint that I've found to exceed any other flat black spray paint.
    Attached Images
    Dave M vin 03572

Not sure if a PO changed the screws. I am missing that one. The other three are 10-24, 82deg Phillips flat head 1.25" long, Black finish head. May not find the black finish at my local hardware store. Probably can just paint the heads.
    Dave M vin 03572

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Another thing to note is that the bosses on the plate holder are not as deep as the outside of the plate holder. This causes the fascia to bow outward toward the plate holder when the screws are tightened into the jack nuts in the fascia.

The simple fix for this is to not overtighten the screws, but typically at this age the damage is done. On my own car, when I replaced the rear fascia, I fabricated small nylon spacers that go over the screw between the holder and the fascia. This allowed me to tighten the screws without deforming the fascia material.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast