FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: head gasket cam sprocket

My VIN:    nov 81

head gasket cam sprocket

So im on waiting list for dmc to do head gaskets. pass side is the one that failed. I thought I would try the sprocket bracket and see if I could do it myself until they can take it. (i still want them to go through the car) all went well until now. when i loosened the cam bolt the bracket slightly shifted but everything stayed lined up. It took a lot to break it free. I thought i was ok until now. reinstalling everything the sprocket and guide pin are lined up perfectly. but there is too much tension in the chain to get the cam to slide through the center hole of the sprocket. Its nearly there but even prying on it with slight pressure i cannot get it to slide through. I dont want to pry to much.

am i screwed at this point?

Thanks

Dave.....

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by glockworks21 View Post
    So im on waiting list for dmc to do head gaskets. pass side is the one that failed. I thought I would try the sprocket bracket and see if I could do it myself until they can take it. (i still want them to go through the car) all went well until now. when i loosened the cam bolt the bracket slightly shifted but everything stayed lined up. It took a lot to break it free. I thought i was ok until now. reinstalling everything the sprocket and guide pin are lined up perfectly. but there is too much tension in the chain to get the cam to slide through the center hole of the sprocket. Its nearly there but even prying on it with slight pressure i cannot get it to slide through. I dont want to pry to much.

am i screwed at this point?

Thanks

Dave.....
    Now you get to do it the correct way and take the front cover off the engine. The chain tensioner has likely "relaxed", and you need to physically reset it.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    nov 81

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Now you get to do it the correct way and take the front cover off the engine. The chain tensioner has likely "relaxed", and you need to physically reset it.
    Thanks for verifying. It was a long shot anyways...Pretty discouraged..

Im still on waiting list for DMC.... Hopefully 1st quarter next year.............

Dave