FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Glovebox lid restoration

Glovebox lid restoration

Has anyone had any luck restoring their glovebox lid back to new condition? If so what'd you do? I have a grey interior, and my glovebox lid is very discolored from sun damage. I recently put in a new dashboard, and plan to get the leather wrap material from DMC to cover the binnacle.

interior.jpg

My VIN:    05457

Mined looked the same and I used spray dye on mine and had great results after a couple coats. I also used the same dye on every other interior piece to ensure everything matched. At that time the SEM Classic Coat Acura Charcoal Grey was considered the closest match. It is no longer available but I'm sure there are other, perhaps better, options now.
    David Proehl

My VIN:    Yes.

Club(s):   (DCO) (DMA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DavidProehl View Post
    Mined looked the same and I used spray dye on mine and had great results after a couple coats. I also used the same dye on every other interior piece to ensure everything matched. At that time the SEM Classic Coat Acura Charcoal Grey was considered the closest match. It is no longer available but I'm sure there are other, perhaps better, options now.
    DupliColor charcoal.

My VIN:    15275

vinyl dye...

Just have an interior repair place match some dye to the dash.. the spray can stuff will not match and will be too dark unless you are planning to do the whole dash also....

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by painterdave72 View Post
    Just have an interior repair place match some dye to the dash.. the spray can stuff will not match and will be too dark unless you are planning to do the whole dash also....
    It's not that the spray stuff is too dark, the whole interior has faded and once you do one part, it will not match the rest of the interior and you wind up doing the whole thing. One "trick" is used when I did it was to hold the spray can about 12" away to get an orange peel effect to try to match the original texture. It goes on dryer the farther you hold the spray can away. Of course it also depends on the humidity and temperature so your results may vary. When you do it you must get the proper cleaner to prep the surface and also get adhesion promoter. After you do that you will want to do the leather. For that go to Leatherique.com. They have our colors on file. Don't dye the carpet. It makes it feel too stiff.
    David Teitelbaum