FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: OEM Wide Stripes

My VIN:    16973

OEM Wide Stripes

Are the OEM wide stripes available anywhere? How close are those Deloreango reproduction stripes? They look pretty darn close to OEM. Anyone have any regrets with those? I really dig the wide stripe look.

My VIN:    3937

I've had these on my car for four seasons now and have absolutely no regrets. They look terrific and have held up well. For the price and availability, they are a good choice.

IMG_1400.jpgDSC_0415robinEDIT-WEB.jpg

Sept. 81, auto, black interior

My VIN:    nov 81

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan View Post
    I've had these on my car for four seasons now and have absolutely no regrets. They look terrific and have held up well. For the price and availability, they are a good choice.

IMG_1400.jpgDSC_0415robinEDIT-WEB.jpg

did you instal them yourself? ive been on the fence about these. I like the look but am afraid i will screw it up and waste the $150...
    They have matte black and now a premium grained set also.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

If you do decide to put the decals on the car do not buy any "old stock". They shrink and crack and will not go on well. Make sure you buy fresh stock. Prepare the surface and make sure it is clean. Use a line of masking tape to make sure you line it up straight. If you are uncertain about how to do it take it to a shop that does wraps. They will have the expertise to do it well and not ruin it.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    If you do decide to put the decals on the car do not buy any "old stock". They shrink and crack and will not go on well. Make sure you buy fresh stock. Prepare the surface and make sure it is clean. Use a line of masking tape to make sure you line it up straight. If you are uncertain about how to do it take it to a shop that does wraps. They will have the expertise to do it well and not ruin it.
    +1

Care to watch somebody whose never applied pre-cut dry-adhesive-backed film try this job?

Here's one of the ongoing LegitStreetCars DMC-12 resto video episodes.

Part of that episode is devoted to Alex *almost* doing a good job of applying the wide side stripe kit. His adventure starts at the 50min30sec point. There's some SS cleaning/prep before that.

Notice Alex's advice at the 53min45sec point about outsourcing the job.

It's what David T said.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    628

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by TheFover View Post
    Are the OEM wide stripes available anywhere? How close are those Deloreango reproduction stripes? They look pretty darn close to OEM. Anyone have any regrets with those? I really dig the wide stripe look.
    Back to your original question, No... OEM Wide Stripe kits are NLA.

The original Wide Stripe as well as John Hervey's (RIP) reproduction stripes have a very course texture on the vinyl that also adds a little to its thickness. These are hard to find as they are NLA as previously stated.

The stripe kit from DGo is smooth yet has a nice brushed look to them, but it is a thin sticker in comparison to OEM.
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic
    TNDMC: TN DeLorean Motor Club

My VIN:    16973

Thanks dudes. Sounds like DGo's grained stripe is the best and practically only option for a wide stripe. Alex's video scares me a bit but not enough to not try it. Looks frustrating but doable.