FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Importing to the UK

Importing to the UK

Hi Guys,

Im considering taking the plunge and finally getting a Delorean. After a brief chat on the DOC forum it was suggested that an import might be the best way to go about getting this car on a budget. I have roughly $15000 available but want to stretch that as far as possible.

Would anybody be willing to offer me some advice on where to begin. Forst steps etc.

Really appreciate your time.

Kind regards,
    Richard

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

Firstly check the listings here, on DMCTalk, both in the Cars for Sale (where owners list their cars) and in Open Discussion and General Discussion, where forum members post other cars that they have found on-line, usually with some sort of notable (aka interesting) attribute .

Obviously check ebay and Autotrader.com. You could try craigslist.com for some of the major cities.

You may be able to get a forum member to go and look at a car for you, depending on where the car is. If you are really interested in one, post it on the forum for feedback (just don't do it for every single car you look at )

Elaborate here on what particulars you are looking for (auto/manual, interior color) if you have any.

And above all, read plenty of threads here and on DOC to educate yourself about the car.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Hi Dangermouse. Thanks very much for taking the time to reply.

Looking for a manual. I think thats the only requirement really. Im flexible on the rest. Im no pro. Very new to the car so doing some reading each night. Grew up watching the BTTF films so thats where the fascination started. Had a drive in one in may this year. New job means I should be able to fund my dream. I would prefer one in my budget with as little work required. But my budget is limited so if work is needed cosmetic is best.

My VIN:    A few, by name... DeLorean Monster Truck, DeLorean Roadster, DeLorean Hovercraft, DeLorean Limo

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Richard,

PJ Grady UK is an excellent source for both tracking down a DeLorean to buy
    in the UK or for more details on how to import a DeLorean into the UK.

http://tinyurl.com/3twuyhv

Feel free to contact Chris Nicholson at PJ Grady UK for more details or stop by
    his shop to see a few DeLoreans in person.

Later,
    Rich W.

Banned

My VIN:    16510 and carbureted

Club(s):   (GCD) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

This article might be good reading for you:
    http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/restoration.htm

Just out of curiosity, how much does shipping a vehicle cost?

I saw a TV show a few days ago about a guy in the UK who buys cars, fixes them, and sells them for a profit. He bought a Delorean in the USA, shipped it to the UK, fixed some things and sold it.

He paid $15,500 USD for it and sold it for the equivalent of $32,000 USD. At the end of the show he bragged about it being the quickest $6,000 that he had ever made. This leads me to beleive the purchase price, repairs, shipping, and taxes added up to about $26,000 USD.

Just something to keep in mind when importing a "cheap" delorean.

Dropped them a mail. Appreciated! Many thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by stevedmc View Post
    This article might be good reading for you:
    http://www.dmcnews.com/Techsection/restoration.htm

I saw a TV show a few days ago about a guy in the UK who buys cars, fixes them, and sells them for a profit. He bought a Delorean in the USA, shipped it to the UK, fixed some things and sold it.

He paid $15,500 USD for it and sold it for the equivalent of $32,000 USD. At the end of the show he bragged about it being the quickest $6,000 that he had ever made. This leads me to beleive the purchase price, repairs, shipping, and taxes added up to about $26,000 USD.

I watched this too. Its called Wheeler Dealer. Im told the US is better for finding a car that might need some work hence the price is a little cheaper. Apparently around 30% is a good rough idea of additional charges by the time its in the UK.

Thanks for you input.

Rich

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

He paid $15,500 USD for it and sold it for the equivalent of $32,000 USD. At the end of the show he bragged about it being the quickest $6,000 that he had ever made. This leads me to beleive the purchase price, repairs, shipping, and taxes added up to about $16,000 USD.

Firstly, fixed, cough, cough, Steve. (Also remember it is a TV show, so their numbers may not have been completely factual )

From the UK sites, the actual shipping seems to be $1,000-2,000. The big kicker is import tax of 20%. Therefore, obviously, the cheaper the car you buy in the US, the less the import taxes will be, which is why project cars are a more popular export than concours.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

My VIN:    7176

Club(s):   (DCH)

Have a read of this - I imported a car in 2008/9 and wrote a guide for the DCUK forum:
    http://www.deloreaneurotec.co.uk/for...php?f=13&t=317
    | DCUK 027 | VIN 7176 | London, UK |

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast