FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Importing to the UK

My VIN:    7176

Club(s):   (DCH)

Yes - a BIG project. You would need to be an experienced mechanic or be prepared to spend big money on this once you get it over to the UK. Be prepared to ditch the turbo and go back to stock if you want to get it running nicely.

Personally, I would avoid this one if you're new to the DeLorean game!
    | DCUK 027 | VIN 7176 | London, UK |

My VIN:    2743

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCH) (DCUK) (DOC-UK)

+1

I would approach with caution. Consider it to be a non-runner - note that the seller doesn't make any reference to how (or if) it drives. Don't get blinded by the turbo, it'll just be one more thing to deal with.

However, the price is still low enough and it is probably typical of a car you would get for <$7k (but read the "Sticky" thread in this sub-forum about buying a "cheap" D. If you are interested, ask the seller for some frame pictures.
    Dermot
    VIN 2743, B/A, Frame 2227, engine 2320

I don't always drive cars, but when I do, I prefer DeLoreans

http://www.will-to-live.org

No-one is to stone anyone, even, and I want to make this absolutely clear, even if they do say "carburetor"

Hi Richard,

Does that $15000 include your budget for tax upon arrival? You will struggle to get a car into the UK for less than 10,000 UKP unless you really know what you're doing and are happy to take on a project.

Wheeler Dealers did not show the detail on that car, there was a hell of a lot more work involved than was shown. Yes, it is possible to make money but it will involve a lot of work!

I've imported getting on for 10 times, but always have my eyes open to expect the worst. My frient Martyn Reed recently brought in a fixer-upper and he's as happy as a pig in sh*t right now. Thanks to Dave & Julee at DMCMW he got just the right car - bodywork and chassis very good but hadn't run in years and cosmetically dreadful.

He's already covered several thousand miles and is steadily working through the bits and bobs. We replaced the front springs and the bearings in his steering rack last week in fact (He's being my guinea pig for testing them!)
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

Quote Originally Posted by DCUK Martin View Post
    Hi Richard,

Does that $15000 include your budget for tax upon arrival? You will struggle to get a car into the UK for less than 10,000 UKP unless you really know what you're doing and are happy to take on a project.

Wheeler Dealers did not show the detail on that car, there was a hell of a lot more work involved than was shown. Yes, it is possible to make money but it will involve a lot of work!

I've imported getting on for 10 times, but always have my eyes open to expect the worst. My frient Martyn Reed recently brought in a fixer-upper and he's as happy as a pig in sh*t right now. Thanks to Dave & Julee at DMCMW he got just the right car - bodywork and chassis very good but hadn't run in years and cosmetically dreadful.

He's already covered several thousand miles and is steadily working through the bits and bobs. We replaced the front springs and the bearings in his steering rack last week in fact (He's being my guinea pig for testing them!)
    Im not to afraid of some engine work needed. My Farther and cousin are mechanics. So I will be getting them working!lol. I think the sort of thing your friend Martyn got is what im looking at. I was told rule of thumb is about 30% on top of what you buy it for by the time its on your drive?

Also keeping an eye on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...84.m1423.l2649

If you have any good tips, would be great to hear about the import process & best places to look?

Rich

My VIN:    #15768 EX #4584

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

Hi Rich

I know your on the UK forum, however you may not have seen this import guide on our website: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/importing/index.html It may give you a bit more help and guidence.

Chris
    Chris Williams #15768 Back on the road after 14 years. Ex#4584
    Worldwide DeLorean Owners Club: www.deloreans.co.uk Full colour DeLorean magazine shipped worldwide.
    DeLorean Essential Buyers Guide: http://deloreans.co.uk/product/delor...-buyers-guide/

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Hi Rich

I know your on the UK forum, however you may not have seen this import guide on our website: http://www.deloreans.co.uk/importing/index.html It may give you a bit more help and guidence.

Chris
    Brilliant. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by savetheclocktower View Post
    Im not to afraid of some engine work needed. My Farther and cousin are mechanics. So I will be getting them working!lol. I think the sort of thing your friend Martyn got is what im looking at. I was told rule of thumb is about 30% on top of what you buy it for by the time its on your drive?

Also keeping an eye on this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...84.m1423.l2649

If you have any good tips, would be great to hear about the import process & best places to look?

Rich
    I suspect that the reserve on that car is relatively high. I look for the wholly neglected cars so I can start from scratch. My mantra is manual, 100% complete and with good bodywork. Sellers who have done work on their cars usually expect to see the value of the work added to the car, and it doesn't work like that.

If you're buying sight unseen, one key "trick" I always employ is to ask for photos of areas of the car that they haven't already provided, and also to ask for at least one photo that's really random - for example inside the glove box. This isn't because I care about it, but because you can't easily find one on the internet. If the person at the other end just makes excuses why they can't take these photos, walk away.

The chassis is vital to get photos of under the front and under the back.

The last two cars I brought over (incl Martyn's) I found with a wanted ad on DMCTalk.
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------

My VIN:    #15768 EX #4584

Club(s):   (DOC-UK)

Does any one know if this is a twin or single turbo?? I suspect it will go for a fairly high amount as there has not been a lot of restoration cars around recently, also the fact it's a turbo may drive the price up (or not) depending on what people want. Nice to see some more pictures on the listing the chassis may need work by the looks of it to.
    Chris
    Chris Williams #15768 Back on the road after 14 years. Ex#4584
    Worldwide DeLorean Owners Club: www.deloreans.co.uk Full colour DeLorean magazine shipped worldwide.
    DeLorean Essential Buyers Guide: http://deloreans.co.uk/product/delor...-buyers-guide/

I was thinkin the chassis look like it had some rot. Will be keeping an eye on it.

Quote Originally Posted by chris williams View Post
    Does any one know if this is a twin or single turbo??
    The first link shows a single turbo, the second is a regular NA.
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2