FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: SPC Mustang II Adjustable Upper Control Arm Install

My VIN:    Early

Quote Originally Posted by Dickey View Post
    Are the ball joints that come with the SPC arms regular mustang ii ball joints?
    Kind of. They are 1/2" longer and pretty thick, and it's why 97001 ball joints are required.

And note the 97001 is a smaller diameter stud and taper than the joints that come with the arms. If you drill the knuckles for the longer and thicker studs, you will have an oversized hole.

That's what happened to me. So far, I've destroyed 3 knuckles. Also, it's best to have a machine shop drill the taper larger or do it your self using a drill press. Even on a vice, it"s hard to get it straight.

Large side of taper is enlarged to about .630"
    Last edited by 81dmc; 11-10-2023 at 09:44 AM.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

My VIN:    2690 & 4359

Thank you. I am running NB Miata spindles which use mustang ii ball joints and am curious about alternatives that offer more adjustment than what I've currently got.

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

When testing clearance i would set the car down on the ground or load up the suspension. It may not be a concern at the different angle of the arm.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

It took awhile but I finally got the bushing spacers from SPC. So I inserted SPC spacer from inside to out on bushings. Rear mount has no other spacer, just the SPC adapter. Front mount has an additional 1/2" spacer with the SPC adapter. This yields even better clearance with rim.

Blue arrow is 1/2" spacer from McMaster, red arrows are the bushing adapters from SPC.

IMG_9507.jpg

IMG_9508.jpg

So far, my camber is around -0.5* and caster is around +6.5*. Car drives great.
    Early 81 5spd conversion- DMCH Ground Effects, Double Din, Custom Instrument Cluster, QA1 Suspension, 3.0 PRV with MS3

I also will eventually try the entire NB Miata knuckle and spindle. Will update here when I have results.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2