FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Protective pieces?

Protective pieces?

Hi

I've seen over the years these protective pieces on the brand new DeLorean's1.jpg2.jpg,
    what are they made of? rubber?

I understand they are to protect the cars during transit

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by Delorean DMC12 View Post
    Hi

I've seen over the years these protective pieces on the brand new DeLorean's1.jpg2.jpg,
    what are they made of? rubber?

I understand they are to protect the cars during transit
    From what I understand it was just foam. Same type of stuff used for packaging today. It was, but I'm not sure if it still is a common practice for cars on the ships. The tape had a tendency to etch the paint on the facias. Mine can still be seen mostly on the rear.

Dave B.

Hi Dave

Thank you for the response, I did wonder if they were Styrofoam, but then I didn't think that would offer the bumpers or sides of the cars any protection if the cars bumped or rolled into each other

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    From what I understand it was just foam. Same type of stuff used for packaging today. It was, but I'm not sure if it still is a common practice for cars on the ships. The tape had a tendency to etch the paint on the facias. Mine can still be seen mostly on the rear.

Dave B.
    My bumper paint also still shows those tape locations. Has anyone found a way to remove that?
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    My bumper paint also still shows those tape locations. Has anyone found a way to remove that?
    For me they don't bother me one bit because I know there significance. Plus one can prove that it's original paint.
    I've met other owners that wanted to get rid of them also until they new why they were there.
    Otherwise I don't think you can get rid of them perfectly without some kind of repaint. Because it's literally in the paint and not on top.

Dave B.

I?ve never noticed anything on my paint. I will have to go and look. Probably I?m going to be mad at you guys for pointing it out. I?ll never be able to look at it again without seeing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    https://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?1...y+tape+residue

Found a thread here. Apparently there has been some luck removing them.

Dave B.
    Last edited by WHO1DMC; 11-08-2023 at 10:50 AM.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    For me they don't bother me one bit because I know there significance. Plus one can prove that it's original paint.
    I've met other owners that wanted to get rid of them also until they new why they were there.
    Otherwise I don't think you can get rid of them perfectly without some kind of repaint. Because it's literally in the paint and not on top.

Dave B.
    I agree. The marks are pretty subtle, probably only happened on cars that were stuck in storage lots for extended periods of time, and a great indicator that the paint (and fascia!) is original.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    I agree. The marks are pretty subtle, probably only happened on cars that were stuck in storage lots for extended periods of time, and a great indicator that the paint (and fascia!) is original.
    The solvents from the foam migrated into the paint (which was probably not completely cured) and affected the sheen. I had a problem like this on products I made and we used foam bumpers with a self-stick adhesive so they would stay put. When we took the pads off you could clearly see the spot where they were. It was worse in the summertime or if the pads were left on for a long time. Does anyone have any of those foam corners?
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    6125

Call me weird, but I kind of like the tape marks. They are mostly unnoticeable unless you know what you're looking for, and it's a subtle indicator that the paint is original as Dave was saying.