FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Sell or Rent me a cat?

My VIN:    nov 81

Sell or Rent me a cat?

Hello,

I am in need of a good working original catalytic converter that someone may not be using. Does anyone have one they would be willing to sell to me? If not does anyone have one they are willing to "rent" to me for a few days? (i will install it and drive straight to smog shop, hopefully pass if its in good shape, drive home and wait for the car to cool and remove it and send it right back). I will make it worth your while. (paypal, venmo, whatever)
    Ive talked with danny at delorean who deals with california restrictions and he is confident that my failed smog issues are based on this. He has another car there with aftermarket cat that wont pass and has obviously dealt with this alot. They do not currently have any new stock or known working ones at this point that they can send. Please let me know if you can help so I can hopefully move on from this now months long issue. Im now $350 deep in smog tests and at max overdue for registration which will end up being around $600 if i pass.......

I thank you all in advance for your time.

Dave.....

My VIN:    2690 & 4359

Have you considered getting an oem catalytic converter off of something else and have a muffler shop weld the flange and slip joint to it? As I recall mkii and mkiii MR2s were fairly compact so far as the actual catalyst section goes.

My VIN:    03572

This makes me think they are testing different than before. I'm wondering if they do a faster sample when our stock lambda is swinging back and forth like it always does (idle hunting).
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    This makes me think they are testing different than before. I'm wondering if they do a faster sample when our stock lambda is swinging back and forth like it always does (idle hunting).
    California is unique in that they test for NOx (Oxides of Nitrogen) which is a very stringent test. That's the one he fails. You can have a car running otherwise perfectly, passing all the tests for HC and CO, but if your converter isn't 100% functional it will fail.

It is a roller dyno test under load which is also somewhat harder to pass then a simple idle CO measurement.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    628

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I am pretty sure that I have the old Catalytic Converter from my stock exhaust
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic
    TNDMC: TN DeLorean Motor Club

My VIN:    10332

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I'll ship mine out in the next day or so. Hopefully it works for you!

Quote Originally Posted by mhanch View Post
    I'll ship mine out in the next day or so. Hopefully it works for you!

Thanks again! and thank you to all the responded. If this one still has most of the materials in it i should be ok.
    question to all.. Should I clean i out with detergent or somethiing or just try it as is? Ive seen that discussed somewhere and not sure whats best...

Thanks again....

Dave

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by glockworks21 View Post
    Thanks again! and thank you to all the responded. If this one still has most of the materials in it i should be ok.
    question to all.. Should I clean i out with detergent or somethiing or just try it as is? Ive seen that discussed somewhere and not sure whats best...

Thanks again....

Dave
    Do NOT try to clean it. Inspect it and if it is all sooty and/or looks like it got very hot, it is probably No Good. Shake it and if you hear stuff loose inside it is NG. Otherwise just put it in.
    David Teitelbaum

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Do NOT try to clean it. Inspect it and if it is all sooty and/or looks like it got very hot, it is probably No Good. Shake it and if you hear stuff loose inside it is NG. Otherwise just put it in.
    thank you sir..

My VIN:    2245

I used to live in CA, worst state I've lived in. My car always passed the smog but I do remember another owner that always had problems getting his car to pass. Looks like you already found a cat, if that one doesn't work I have my old one in the basement somewhere. I haven't had to get my car smogged since I left CA. You might want to consider moving, when you're able, to a place that doesn't require smog.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast