FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Oil Light Check

My VIN:    07164

Club(s):   (DCH)

Oil Light Check

After a rebuild I expected the oil light to come on on initial key turn on the dash, but from the looks of it, it doesn't. I have checked 3 videos of ignitions and the oil light doesnt come on.

Is that correct ? I see the brake light comes on and always assumed the oil light should pre-ignition as part of the check.

How can I check the oil light is working. Assume I may be able to jump the oil sensor switch ?

Looking a this pic it looks like the oil light is on at ignition stage1 Get-En-light-ened-20.jpg so perhaps a common issue on the videos I looked at ?
    Last edited by er1c; 11-23-2023 at 07:09 AM.

http://support.delorean.com/kb/a45/i...nd-gauges.aspx

The Oil Light is controlled by another pressure sensor switch on the driver's side just in front of the AC belt tensioning bracket. It rarely malfunctions but it does often leak. This light should illuminate with the key turned on and go off as soon as the engine is started. If this light ever illuminates with the engine running, TURN IT OFF immediately and check for wiring shorts at the pressure sensor by disconnecting the wire from the sensor. If the light goes off with the sensor disconnected, there is probably a genuine internal oil pump failure that must be repaired before running the engine.

I have checked and re-fitted the wire by the AC tensioner...

My VIN:    03572

With the key on and engine not running, Your oil light and battery light should be on.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    With the key on and engine not running, Your oil light and battery light should be on.
    Take the wire off the sensor and ground it. If that doesn't turn on the oil light with the key on something is wrong with it. A broken wire or a burnt out bulb would be among the first things to check.
    David Teitelbaum

Thanks guys... I am sure that bulb is a doozy to get to as well

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by er1c View Post
    Thanks guys... I am sure that bulb is a doozy to get to as well
    You have to take the binnacle off. At that point you can inspect everything and change all the bulbs and maybe go LED. I did mine earlier this year. It's definitely a little work so while you're in there kinda thing.

Dave B.

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    You have to take the binnacle off. At that point you can inspect everything and change all the bulbs and maybe go LED. I did mine earlier this year. It's definitely a little work so while you're in there kinda thing.

Dave B.
    Aye, I have LED set for the BINNACLE so this may be the straw which makes it worthwhile doing. I have a lot of the pads out from doing the steering column so it may be a good time.

My VIN:    03500

Quote Originally Posted by er1c View Post
    Aye, I have LED set for the BINNACLE so this may be the straw which makes it worthwhile doing. I have a lot of the pads out from doing the steering column so it may be a good time.
    Remember that everything is working before you button it up. A lot of the LEDs only work one way.

Dave B.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Just remember the bulb for the charging system light has to be incandescent or the alternator will not work.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Loose Wire

luckily this was just a loose wire to the oil sensor.... Happy days.