FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Fuel Pressure Build Up

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Do you mean the engine DID crank over strongly, as usual, but didn't start? And it didn't sound like it was almost starting while you cranked it ("won't even fire")?

Did you try it again later when the engine was fully cold?
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    Jan '82 #11153

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Do you mean the engine DID crank over strongly, as usual, but didn't start? And it didn't sound like it was almost starting while you cranked it ("won't even fire")?

Did you try it again later when the engine was fully cold?
    After the new injectors the car ran fine. Drove it out of the garage and parked it on the road. Turned it off. Came back 20 minutes later and it will turn over but will not fire at all. Tried turning the key numerious times to build up fuel pressure - still nothing. I did nothing from when it was running to when it won't except to turn the key. Grrrrr.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I agree that you should always check the dwell after changing injectors. To get it running so you can, try a shot of starting fluid under the air plate. If no luck, put an spare plug wire in the coil and see if it sparks to ground.

So, I went out and tried it again. Started right up after me doing nothing. Let it set for 20 minutes, started right up again. I'll let it set a day or so and see what happens. Hoping it starts AND solved the initial problem of fuel pressure loss.

My VIN:    11596

You still may need to adjust the mixture screw though. I just replaced my injectors with exactly the same model injectors as I previously had and ended up having to turn my mixture screw about a quarter turn to get the dwell meter reading perfect again.

As for the car not starting when hot, you can have a hot start problem that is undiagnosed.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

I replaced all the injectors after it appeared some were bad. I let the car sit for a few days to see if that helped. It did. Engine fired up right off. It looks like the original leaky injectors were the problem all along. Thanks for all the info and ideas. I feel good after checking all the other items.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3