FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Rear oil leaks

My VIN:    10620

Rear oil leaks

Hi, everyone. Thinking about how to approach my constantly wet rear engine and trans area and putting together a list of the usual suspects before doing a real good cleanup then observation.

Anything to add to this? I guess this list could be very long but I'm just looking for the main usual stuff.

-rear main seal
    -gasket for the housing around the rear main seal
    -trans input shaft seal (aka clutch shaft seal 103177 correct?)
    -2 rear cam seals
    -the transmission halves mating surfaces themselves

My VIN:    2245

Is it engine oil? If it is and is leaking between the transmission and engine it's probably the rear main oil seal. It's easy to change, just a bit of a job to get to it.

My VIN:    03572

I was running 10-40 Mobil One oil and had a leak I thought was the axle seals. I changed to the 15-40 Rotella oil and it really reduced the leak to only a drop after a drive. So I'm guessing my rear main seal leaks a little and not the axle seals.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Make sure you are not over-filled, that can cause a leak and make a small leak a big one. Also important to use the correct oil. Common leaks are the axle seals and the oil pressure sender on the driver's side of the motor. First step is to clean everything up and see where it is leaking from.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    nov 81

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    Make sure you are not over-filled, that can cause a leak and make a small leak a big one. Also important to use the correct oil. Common leaks are the axle seals and the oil pressure sender on the driver's side of the motor. First step is to clean everything up and see where it is leaking from.

agree.. clean everything first.. helped me a lot

one of the first things I did and only thing I sourced out to a shop was to steam clean the bottom half of the engine to remove all the oil. Mine was leaking from both oil sender and left side axle seal. hard to tell the difference from gear oil and engine oil if it manual but it all seems to blend together and work its way towards rear of motor. much easier to find once cleaned!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I was running 10-40 Mobil One oil and had a leak I thought was the axle seals. I changed to the 15-40 Rotella oil and it really reduced the leak to only a drop after a drive. So I'm guessing my rear main seal leaks a little and not the axle seals.
    Many years ago I had a Jaguar XKE. I rebuilt the engine myself and when I was done, I put this new oil (Mobil One) in. It leaked pretty bad. I figured I did a poor job rebuilding it. I couldn?t afford to have that expensive oil leak out, so I changed to Castro GTX. Never leaked again.

Someone told me it comes in metal cans because it leaks out of the cardboard ones. (Back when oil came in cans)

My VIN:    10620

Awesome, everyone, thanks. I'm seeing a lot of caution about the oil itself. Just did an oil change 2 weeks ago. Not overfilled, exactly halfway between the notches, and used Castrol GTX 20w-50.

I also see comments about axle seals and the oil pressure sender and that oil loves to gather at that rear area, even though it can be coming from faraway places.

Huge help. I mainly needed to expand the list of likely sources. Cleanup and observation is the first thing.