FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 4.3 chev swap?

4.3 chev swap?

I was on another forum and some one mentioned that the chev 4.3 will bolt right up to transmissions that the LS and LT engines use. The 4.3 is basically a LT with 2 cylinders cut off.

https://poweredsolutions.gm.com/products/lv1-engine/

I know there are venders out there that sell swap kits for LS to go in the Delorean, so it would seem like the same kit could be used. Has anybody done this? It would seem to me to be an excellent choice for a swap. I understand that in order to mount a LS in a Delorean, you must move the stock un1 forward. I?m thinking with the 4.3 you could use the stock location. A 6 cylinder seems more appropriate swap for the car in my opinion and 285 hp would be plenty and maybe the stock transmission would be up to the task.

Side question, I couldn?t find a vender section here. I?m I missing something?

My VIN:    7012

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    I was on another forum and some one mentioned that the chev 4.3 will bolt right up to transmissions that the LS and LT engines use. The 4.3 is basically a LT with 2 cylinders cut off.

I know there are venders out there that sell swap kits for LS to go in the Delorean, so it would seem like the same kit could be used. Has anybody done this? It would seem to me to be an excellent choice for a swap. I understand that in order to mount a LS in a Delorean, you must move the stock un1 forward. I?m thinking with the 4.3 you could use the stock location. A 6 cylinder seems more appropriate swap for the car in my opinion and 285 hp would be plenty and maybe the stock transmission would be up to the task.

I don't know how to tag here, but I think @jangell mentioned that he met someone recently with this swap.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Side question, I couldn't find a vender section here. I'm I missing something?
    The Vendor News and Notes section is one of the subsections under General DeLorean Discussion

https://dmctalk.org/forumdisplay.php...News-and-Notes
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

Contact Josh S. He designed the swap kits and made them: https://www.lsdelorean.com/

Club(s):   (PNDC)

In 1990 I put a supercharged Chevy 4.3 in a very low mileage DeLorean purchased with no engine in it. I built the trans adapter, motor mounts, headers, and did all of the related mechanical work. I used the 4.3 specifically because it required no frame notching or trans moving. Plus it was entirely bolt-in, with the only changes being holes in the engine cover and louver for the carb on top of the blower, and a small notch in the rear closing panel. I drove the car for about 9 years, then sold it. Eleven years later I bought it back, went through it again, and sold it once more. Selling it the first time was dumb; the second time was really stupid.

Do a search for BLWNAWY and you can probably find more info.
    1981 DeLorean w/supercharged Chevy V6 - purchased 1990; built '90-'95; sold 2005; re-purchased 2016; sold again 2017
    1957 Dodge D500 Hemi convertible - restoration completed 7/2015; sold 12/2019
    1957 Dodge 2-door station wagon, 2019 Chrysler drivetrain
    2000 Corvette convertible

That is the old 4.3 you are referring to. I believe with a SBC pattern. You could mate that up to anything. I believe only iron blocked. OP is talking about the LVx engines which have the LT pattern. Looks like Kennedy now does make an adapter to go from it to the G96 (or other Porsche) transmission.

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyK View Post
    That is the old 4.3 you are referring to. I believe with a SBC pattern. You could mate that up to anything. I believe only iron blocked. OP is talking about the LVx engines which have the LT pattern. Looks like Kennedy now does make an adapter to go from it to the G96 (or other Porsche) transmission.
    I assumed that, but in 1990 I didn't have that option. Plus I am old, and old-school. The extra weight of the iron 4.3 was hardly noticeable.
    1981 DeLorean w/supercharged Chevy V6 - purchased 1990; built '90-'95; sold 2005; re-purchased 2016; sold again 2017
    1957 Dodge D500 Hemi convertible - restoration completed 7/2015; sold 12/2019
    1957 Dodge 2-door station wagon, 2019 Chrysler drivetrain
    2000 Corvette convertible

Quote Originally Posted by BLWNAWY View Post
    but in 1990 I didn't have that option.
    Oh I know!

My VIN:    2690 & 4359

The 4.3 engine shares the same 90 degree gm corporate bellhousing pattern as all gen 1 and gen 2 (90s LT1/4/5) small block Chevy v8s. The bolt pattern is carried over to gen 3 and 4 LS engines (excluding LS4) though the gen 3/4 engines switch the upper driver's side bellhousing bolt position with the very top apex spot on the pattern. The crankshaft flange depth is different and the LS engines use a longer input shaft compared to the earlier generation v8s and 90 degree v6s. Some of the early LM7 and LQ4 truck motors have the same crankshaft depth as a gen 1/2 SBC.

The LS4 is a dirt cheap all aluminum LS engine because it uses a 60 degree bellhousing pattern and has no provision for a starter mount and that makes it difficult to viably swap into RWD applications. It also has a unique crankshaft and water pump housing to allow it to more easily fit in compact FWD applications.

I believe the guy selling adapter kits for the UN1 to mate to the LS4 also sells a regular 90 degree LS adapter as well but to use it with an earlier 90 degree v6 would require accommodating the shallower crankshaft flange depth for the transmission input shaft and the swapped bolt position for the bellhousing pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    The Vendor News and Notes section is one of the subsections under General DeLorean Discussion

https://dmctalk.org/forumdisplay.php...News-and-Notes
    I saw that, but it?s not a list of venders as such.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast