FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: 4.3 chev swap?

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

There are two major variants of the 4.3 based on year. One is Gen1 SBC based, iron block, tbi or spider injection, and not really worth the trouble. The other is Gen5 based, the LV3. It is a great engine - Aluminum block and comparable power to the LS. There has been one of these LV3s swapped into a DeLorean. The older 4.3s have also been swapped into the DeLorean but that was a thing decades ago.

Neither of these are compatible with anything I sell. I have no interest in making a swap kit of these either as there are no front sump oil pan options - most of the swaps done to date with these 4.3s regardless of generation have cut a significant portion out of the rear crossmember to accommodate the rear sump oil pan. To add insult to injury the rear sump oil pan is now facing the wrong direction and on acceleration the oil splashes out of the sump - this causes oiling issues.

Another note that further condemns the use of this engine in the DeLorean (in my opinion) is the accessory drive is configured for a truck - it protrudes rearward into the rear facia. The space you think you are gaining by having a v6 is lost by the accessory drive. I have a LV3 in my Truck, and it actually measures 1" longer from the front of the pulleys to the back of the bellhousing compared to an LS4.

Maybe i am stuck in my LS ways, but it just does not make sense to me to use this engine.
    Last edited by Josh; 12-13-2023 at 07:26 PM.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Good info there. I wonder why they made the accessory?s stick out so much. Maybe easier to work on. That?s the only reason I would go for the 6 over the 8. (To get more room to work) The power of both is plenty for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2