FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Blinking headlights?

Blinking headlights?

Last nite my headlights started blinking. Seemed to be related to vibration which would lead me to a bad connection. Is there any other thing that has a history of this. (Relay or dash switch)

My VIN:    03572

I assume it was random blinking. You could narrow the problem down by testing if high and low beams do the same. If so then you could jumper one headlight relay and test again. If the jumpered relay fixes it then the problem is at or before the relay.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Do you have the original light switch? If you do, I'd start looking at it and see if it's melting. If you have the DMCH updated switch check its fuse
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    nov 81

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Last nite my headlights started blinking. Seemed to be related to vibration which would lead me to a bad connection. Is there any other thing that has a history of this. (Relay or dash switch)
    I had similar issue a couple months ago and just pulled and cleaned connectors at relay. Has not happened since.. Ive since went through and cleaned all the connections.. Hopefully its that simple..

Merry Christmas..

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I assume it was random blinking. You could narrow the problem down by testing if high and low beams do the same. If so then you could jumper one headlight relay and test again. If the jumpered relay fixes it then the problem is at or before the relay.
    It was random. I pulled over and felt some of the relays to see if any were hot. (Just warm) when I got back out on the road it was fixed for a few miles and started again. I need to look up the headlight relays. I think I might have yours. If you make them. I know I bought most of the relays you sell.

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    Do you have the original light switch? If you do, I'd start looking at it and see if it's melting. If you have the DMCH updated switch check its fuse
    Yes, this is what I?m most suspect of. I do have LED lights, so there shouldn?t be a lot of power draw.

Quote Originally Posted by glockworks21 View Post
    I had similar issue a couple months ago and just pulled and cleaned connectors at relay. Has not happened since.. Ive since went through and cleaned all the connections.. Hopefully its that simple..

Merry Christmas..
    This sounds like good advice.

Headlight load is handled by the two relays (main beam relay and dip beam relay) so their current does not go through the switch contacts. However, current for all the other running lights does go through the main lighting switch. When you add up all the running lights and side lights they can draw quite a bit of current, especially if these still have incandescent bulbs. This load is the reason for the common failure of the switch. However, the actual internal contact in the main lighting switch that operates the headlights has only the relative minor load of the headlight relay coils. If only the headlights were blinking, and not any of the other lights, one would suspect the headlight relay or fuses.

Was the blinking only when you had low beams on, high beams only, or did it blink regardless of high or low? If it was just one (high or low) that blinked, swap the relays and see if the issue remains or moves with the relay. If it moves with the relay, replace the relay. If it doesn't, try cleaning and swapping the fuses.

Good luck, Ron

Headlight Relays and Fuses.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by DMC-Ron View Post
    Headlight load is handled by the two relays (main beam relay and dip beam relay) so their current does not go through the switch contacts. However, current for all the other running lights does go through the main lighting switch. When you add up all the running lights and side lights they can draw quite a bit of current, especially if these still have incandescent bulbs. This load is the reason for the common failure of the switch. However, the actual internal contact in the main lighting switch that operates the headlights has only the relative minor load of the headlight relay coils. If only the headlights were blinking, and not any of the other lights, one would suspect the headlight relay or fuses.

Was the blinking only when you had low beams on, high beams only, or did it blink regardless of high or low? If it was just one (high or low) that blinked, swap the relays and see if the issue remains or moves with the relay. If it moves with the relay, replace the relay. If it doesn't, try cleaning and swapping the fuses.

Good luck, Ron

Headlight Relays and Fuses.jpg
    I never turned on the high beams. I didn?t see if the running lights blinked. (They are LED also) I want to say the instrument lights did not blink, but can?t even say for sure about that. It?s the first time I drove the car in a month and everything was going great all day. It kind of ruined my perfect day. It was not scary because of a bright full moon. I could have turned them off and continued driving, but it?s irritating.

My VIN:    2245

This can happen if you get blinker fluid on the headlights.

My VIN:    nov 81

verdict?

I havnt even looked at it yet. I?m out of town right now for the holidays.

Happy New Years!