FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Idle Backwards

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by Ricker View Post
    I checked the thermistor when the engine is cold. I do not get any reading with the ohm meter. I believe it needs replaced and possibly this has been my problem. Your thoughts?
    You should have 8000 - 12000 ohms on the thermistor when cold. If it's open circuit then yep it's either bad or the plug is disconnected, if you are trying to measure it at the ECU. Where are you measuring at? You have the intake off?

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    Jan '82 #11153

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    You should have 8000 - 12000 ohms on the thermistor when cold. If it's open circuit then yep it's either bad or the plug is disconnected, if you are trying to measure it at the ECU. Where are you measuring at? You have the intake off?

I'm under the car and pulled the plugs. Tried the reading directly at the thermistor.

Sounds like you're on to something!

Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    Jan '82 #11153

First, I changed out the Thermo Time Switch. Now the RPMs when the engine is warm it goes up to only 995 RPMs. I then had to adjust the dwell again.

Second, dummy me, thought the Idle Speed Thermistor was under the car on the driver's side. This is the cooling fan thermostat. So where is the Idle Speed Thermistor located. It is near the Y-Tube. Where is that? Any pictures or directions I can follow, I am having a mental block or something. Grrrrr. The way the car is idling now, not sure it needs to be replaced but would like to check it.

It is in the y-pipe and has a black two-pin Bosch plug going into it

Andy Lien

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Ricker View Post
    First, I changed out the Thermo Time Switch. Now the RPMs when the engine is warm it goes up to only 995 RPMs. I then had to adjust the dwell again.

Second, dummy me, thought the Idle Speed Thermistor was under the car on the driver's side. This is the cooling fan thermostat. So where is the Idle Speed Thermistor located. It is near the Y-Tube. Where is that? Any pictures or directions I can follow, I am having a mental block or something. Grrrr. The way the car is idling now, not sure it needs to be replaced but would like to check it.
    Thermal Time Switch only affect engine starting. It provides the ground for the cold start valve. It would not affect idle RPM or dwell. If those changed, something else made those changes.

The idle speed thermistor is in the Y-pipe which is under the intake manifold. You really need to pull the manifold to get access to it. I would check if it works at the bulkhead connectors before going to the effort to get to the thermistor.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5