FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Super Bright LED

My VIN:    03572

Super Bright LED

Testing the Super Bright switching -CWHP6-V2 LED.

With LEDs now running much higher currents (power) to provide illumination, there is a need to drive them with more efficient drivers. This LED unit has six LEDs running 60 ma. through each. Using a current regulator is nice to keep the LED current constant when your voltage powering them changes from 12.5 volts (engine off) to 14.5 volts (engine running). In the past I have done current regulation with an analog circuit but that does produce heat like a resistor driver would. The switching regulator is much more efficient producing much less heat.

I drew up a schematic of this Super Bright unit (attached) to verify the workings of it. You would not produce this on your own to save any money. You only would make your own for a very specific needs, like the need to layout the LEDs in a specific area. One thing I don?t like with this circuit is using two strings of 3 LEDs that are driven by one constant current driver. If one LED fails with an open circuit than that string stops working and the other string will get double current and burn out the other string. But the LEDs are now more reliable so that condition does not occur often.

I have a new dome unit in the works that can use these switching regulated LEDs. regulated 3710
    Attached Files
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Nice as always Dave! When you say new dome light are you talking about a complete unit? My rear decklid light housing is cracked and was planning on ordering a new one and using a standard festoon LED.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Nice as always Dave! When you say new dome light are you talking about a complete unit? My rear decklid light housing is cracked and was planning on ordering a new one and using a standard festoon LED.
    I'm taking about my dome light dimmer (relay).
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/