FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Engine Coolant Drain Plugs - Anti-Seize? Torque?

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Engine Coolant Drain Plugs - Anti-Seize? Torque?

Hi everyone

It's been a while. Hope you're all doing great.

What would you all recommend applying to the engine coolant drain plugs to avoid the metal plug and aluminum block corroding together with the presence of all that coolant. I was just going to slap on some copper paste and reduce the 15 ft lbs book torque value by 20-30% to account for the paste lubrication - but then I stumbled upon some articles mentioning that aluminum + copper paste + coolant could effectively promote galvanic corrosion.

Now I'm all confused. I want to make sure I get it right so your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Col
    DeLorean DMC-12 (October 1981)
    Manual transmission. Grooved hood. Grey interior. Rear antenna.
    Obsessive perfectionist and 64th annual 2019 Hillsborough Concours D'Elegance class winner.

My VIN:    11596

Quote Originally Posted by Col Bennett View Post
    Hi everyone

It's been a while. Hope you're all doing great.

What would you all recommend applying to the engine coolant drain plugs to avoid the metal plug and aluminum block corroding together with the presence of all that coolant. I was just going to slap on some copper paste and reduce the 15 ft lbs book torque value by 20-30% to account for the paste lubrication - but then I stumbled upon some articles mentioning that aluminum + copper paste + coolant could effectively promote galvanic corrosion.

Now I'm all confused. I want to make sure I get it right so your thoughts would be very much appreciated.

Cheers,
    Col
    I put anti-seize on my coolant drain plugs 15 years ago and probably didn't use a torque wrench on them - just a new copper washer. They came out no problem last year and looked fine. I would not worry about this. The plugs should honestly be pulled out every few years so you can flush out the junk that collects in those corners.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

Quote Originally Posted by 82DMC12 View Post
    The plugs should honestly be pulled out every few years so you can flush out the junk that collects in those corners.
    Totally. I last had mine out 5 years ago to drain the block and stupidly forgot to apply anti-seize when popping them back in. The plugs required too much torque (in my opinion) to remove today and kinda freaked me out. They came out fine, but I don't want to go through that again and want to make sure they're a breeze next time.
    Obsessive perfectionist and 64th annual 2019 Hillsborough Concours D'Elegance class winner.

My VIN:    02855

Silver type paste (not the copper) and about 15ftlbs. just enough to seat/crush the copper sealing washer.

Quote Originally Posted by mark w View Post
    Silver type paste (not the copper) and about 15ftlbs. just enough to seat/crush the copper sealing washer.
    Thanks Mark. Yeah it looks like silver anti-seize is the way to go. The stuff I've ordered especially calls-out having no copper to avoid galvanic corrosion. Hopefully they're a breeze to remove next time around.