FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Exhaust Recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    I'm a member of the hollow CAT club; the smell is most noticeable upon cold start, lasts longer when it is cooler outside (for obvious reasons) and is amplified by running in an enclosed space. Once the engine is up to operating temperature, I find it to be negligibly different compared to a car with a functional CAT. Where I live vintage vehicles are exempt from emissions testing. My .02 worth, your results may vary.
    The stinking clothes comment was my main concern. I can't stand that.

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by L3V3L1 View Post
    The stinking clothes comment was my main concern. I can't stand that.
    If I were to go outside today (34F) fire up the D (in the garage), stand behind it for the first 90 seconds or so, my jacket will have an odor on it. In warmer weather the "smelly-warmup" phase is more like 30 seconds. When started from hot on a hot day there is nothing noticeable.

As much as I love the DeLorean I don't particularly enjoy the scent of Eau de l'Exhaust either.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    03572

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    If I were to go outside today (34F) fire up the D (in the garage), stand behind it for the first 90 seconds or so, my jacket will have an odor on it. In warmer weather the "smelly-warmup" phase is more like 30 seconds. When started from hot on a hot day there is nothing noticeable.

As much as I love the DeLorean I don't particularly enjoy the scent of Eau de l'Exhaust either.
    I think you get that with or without a CAT. Our engines run very rich when cold.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    I think you get that with or without a CAT. Our engines run very rich when cold.
    I agree. After having the WUR, fuel distributor, spark distributor rebuilt, installing new injectors, accumulator, oxygen sensor, thermotime switch over the past two years my car consistently behaves the way I described, and the dwell meter readings are where the book says they should be. PRV engines require a very rich mixture when cold and K-Jet delivers exactly that when it's working properly: if you can't stand the stink get out of the DeLorean! (Or live somewhere warm. Or swap the fuel delivery system. Or the engine.)
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2