FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Engine Cover Hinge Access

My VIN:    Jan '82 #11153

Engine Cover Hinge Access

The engine cover is making a rattling noise on the passenger side. It appears it is the hinge end NOT inside the engine bay. How do you get to the other end of the hinge? I guess you need to remove the back of the passenger compartment storage back? But how?

My VIN:    628

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Remove the bulkhead wall from behind the seats on the inside of the car. Afterwards, disconnect the dome light and remove the upper trim piece that goes below the rear window.

With these two items removed, you will see the four bolts/nuts coming through the fiberglass. When you do your repair, make sure you seal out water from getting in around the hardware.
    Last edited by JBaker4981; 02-19-2024 at 04:04 PM. Reason: GrAmMaR iS hArD
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic
    TNDMC: TN DeLorean Motor Club

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricker View Post
    The engine cover is making a rattling noise on the passenger side. It appears it is the hinge end NOT inside the engine bay. How do you get to the other end of the hinge? I guess you need to remove the back of the passenger compartment storage back? But how?
    More details to help you sort out the upper bulkhead removal:

In order to pull the upper rear bulkhead you need to first remove the 4 cargo net hooks that are screwed into the trim piece below the rear window. Use any of the loosened hooks still hanging onto the bulkhead to pull the top of it forward so you can lift it out. As you do this be *sure* to note which two hooks are the outboard pair and which two are the central/inboard pair. Since the hooks are 2 different lengths you'll want each one in the correct location when you reassemble.

After you're done with the hinge nuts clip the 4 cargo net hooks onto the top of the bulkhead, insert it and tilt it back into place, then screw the 4 hooks back up through the trim piece.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    Jan '82 #11153

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    More details to help you sort out the upper bulkhead removal:

In order to pull the upper rear bulkhead you need to first remove the 4 cargo net hooks that are screwed into the trim piece below the rear window. Use any of the loosened hooks still hanging onto the bulkhead to pull the top of it forward so you can lift it out. As you do this be *sure* to note which two hooks are the outboard pair and which two are the central/inboard pair. Since the hooks are 2 different lengths you'll want each one in the correct location when you reassemble.

After you're done with the hinge nuts clip the 4 cargo net hooks onto the top of the bulkhead, insert it and tilt it back into place, then screw the 4 hooks back up through the trim piece.
    Easy enough! Problem is even though the hinge bolts were a bit lose, it didn't completely solve the intermittent rattle sound. I'll keep investigating. Thanks for the instructions!

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricker View Post
    Easy enough! Problem is even though the hinge bolts were a bit lose, it didn't completely solve the intermittent rattle sound. I'll keep investigating. Thanks for the instructions!
    Glad you found the right way to access it.

About the rattle you still have. It could be a lot of things. And one of those things could still be a hinge.

I had a rattle back there that was due to one of those hinges' pin being too loose within the hinge. When the front of the cover bounced on a rough road the hinge joint or the cover rattled a bit.

In order to test whether either of your hinges has that problem use something like a small towel or some rubber foam placed under just one or the other front corner of the engine cover before closing it. You want just enough material in there to jam that corner of the cover upward a little bit so the pin stays tight within the nearest hinge. Then take it for a drive to where you expect it to rattle. Repeat for the other hinge. Replace hinge(s) depending on test result.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Make sure all of the clips that hold the grills in place are all there and tight. Missing or loose ones can cause vibrations and rattles. Check the rear window to make sure it is still bonded to the fiberglass all around especially along the bottom. Check the plastic valence to make sure it is holding the S/S T piece in all 4 tabs and all of the screws are in and the plastic valence is not cracked. Check that the coil cover is secured. Noises are notorious for being hard to find and fix.
    David Teitelbaum

My VIN:    11596

I had a rattle and it was actually a worn-out prop rod for the engine cover rattling around a bit when the cover was down. I wrapped about one wrap-around of Tesa tape on the point of the prop rod and that fixed it. Though ultimately I did end up replacing the whole prop rod system for cosmetic reasons.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City