FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bar Keeper's Friend & Scotch-Brite

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by David T View Post
    The color of the pad denotes it's coarseness but there is no standard so different manufacturers use different colors. You want to use the least course pad you can to achieve the desired effect. Too course and you will have to go over it again with a less course pad. Graining is just putting scratches onto the surface. Ideally you want them to be straight and parallel. You do not need any liquid but some owners find it helps. For regraining you start out with 80 # sandpaper and work your way to finer pads. Use masking tape to help keep you lined up and straight. For general cleaning I wash the car using car soap (very mild soap that easily washed off). For spot cleaning I just use Windex or alcohol to remove dirt or fingerprints. If you use a blending pad (Scotch Brite) you will notice the area is "brighter" than the surrounding area. You have removed the surface oxidation so it is shinier. That results in having to do the area next to it and so on until you have done the whole car. Or you can just wait a few days for it to naturally dull down.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry

My VIN:    2245

For just a deep cleaning, yeah you just need barkeepers friend and scrub it with a rag or sponge. Just keep scrubbing it till it get's clean, if you have a lot of junk in the grain it can take a while.

My VIN:    10620

Awesome. This is mainly what I was after. But I appreciate all the other advice!

Thanks again, everyone, for the advice. Results are marvelous. I had all kinds of worries about weirder issues going on, but the door just needed an all-out assault on grime. I mainly just used an old washcloth and a generous amount of BKF. Washed with ordinary car wash stuff first and kept everything very wet the whole time. I occasionally mixed in using a blue nonscratch Scotch-Brite pad but I don't think it contributed much. It was the rag and elbow grease. The rags (went thru 2) were caked with gray filth at the end. Just to reveal my worries, I was secretly terrified that the color difference was due to a bent door or something like that causing light to play off it funny. All in my head. So grateful for all the contributions, everyone.
    front.jpg
    rear low.jpg
    rear high.jpg

My VIN:    03500

Now that you got it clean, people are going to want to touch it. I swear if people knew it was electrified, they would still want to touch them!
    My pet peeve is people asking how hard it is to keep clean as they touch it.

Nice work!
    Dave B.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post
    Now that you got it clean, people are going to want to touch it. I swear if people knew it was electrified, they would still want to touch them!

Nice work!
    Dave B.

Very true!
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

Quote Originally Posted by WHO1DMC View Post

Nice work!
    Dave B.

Thank you, Dave!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2