FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Drivers side window fell off front rail

Drivers side window fell off front rail

Well it finally happened. After 25yrs of ownership I finally have to deal with a window that fell of it's rail. Yesterday when I took the Delorean out for it's first spin of the year I rolled the drivers window down and hear the "thunk". Tried to roll it back up and no luck. Today I took the panel off and see that the window fell off the front rail, but is still connected to the back rail. I have no idea how to get this thing back on the front. Any suggestions?

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Refer to this thread.

Skip ahead to Post #10 where the owner lists the steps for reloading the drop glass carrier onto the guide rails from the bottom.

Since then I've helped another owner perform the same trick following the steps in Post #10. It works.

Be sure you figure out why it fell off and repair it so it can't happen again.

Quote Originally Posted by dmcerik View Post
    Well it finally happened. After 25yrs of ownership I finally have to deal with a window that fell of it's rail. Yesterday when I took the Delorean out for it's first spin of the year I rolled the drivers window down and hear the "thunk". Tried to roll it back up and no luck. Today I took the panel off and see that the window fell off the front rail, but is still connected to the back rail. I have no idea how to get this thing back on the front. Any suggestions?
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    11596

Check the glass carrier front side where it attaches to the front door guide. That finger that wraps around the guide rail can bend, causing it to pop off. You can either adjust the guide to put less stress on the carrier, or you can add a rivet that keeps the two halves of the white carrier end together so it can't spread so far.

Also need to make sure you have GOOD soft-side velcro on the door skin below the outer wipe seal and you should replace the inner wipe seal on the black crash bar.
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City