FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: DeLorean Facts and Myths

My VIN:    10270

This was originally a DeLorean World article that I reformatted for a show I attended, a performance cross section of 1981 cars. During a big "omg youtube said its slow" comment era.

I added the 120hp V8 Mustang GT for extra depression.
    Attached Files
    Luke S :: 10270 :: 82 Grey 5-Speed :: Single Watercooled T3 .60/.48 :: Borla Exhaust :: MSD Ignition :: MS3X Fully SFI Odd-fire EFI :: DevilsOwn Methanol Injection

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    This was originally a DeLorean World article that I reformatted for a show I attended, a performance cross section of 1981 cars. During a big "omg youtube said its slow" comment era.

I added the 120hp V8 Mustang GT for extra depression.
    Perception= Extra Depression. I love that!

If you really want to get some onlookers to up their anti-depressant intake add the base model '82 Camaro (yes the one with the Iron Duke)
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    nov 81 6900-

cars and coffee

Im going to download, enlarge and laminate these. I may add a few things. Ive now had probably 5 people over the last year ask me if its a real delorean or a kit. So i may add that in. As I have never heard of anything close to a replication. So im going to state that as a fact that there are no kits. they are all real. (unless someone hear tells me otherwise)

Wife and I went to cars and coffee today and walked around awhile. I leave doors up and open back when we go. 99.9 percent of the people are always respectful. We walked back up to check on it and were standing about a parking spot away when i heard some 25ish year old girl and her friends walk by and say "Yeah they only made this for one year because of reliability and quality problems". I dont know why but that one set me off. I immediately started walking towards them hoping something else stupid would come out of her mouth, but they all walked off quick and I didnt get my opportunity. In 2.5 years of ownership I have never been so upset about a comment. Probably because the way she said it and the fact I did not get the chance to put her in her place....idk..

My VIN:    2245

I saw a picture of one kit car Delorean. It was all fiberglass and it looked mostly accurate, I don't know if I saved a picture of it.

My VIN:    17040

Quote Originally Posted by glockworks21 View Post
    Im going to download, enlarge and laminate these. I may add a few things. Ive now had probably 5 people over the last year ask me if its a real delorean or a kit. So i may add that in. As I have never heard of anything close to a replication. So im going to state that as a fact that there are no kits. they are all real. (unless someone hear tells me otherwise)

Wife and I went to cars and coffee today and walked around awhile. I leave doors up and open back when we go. 99.9 percent of the people are always respectful. We walked back up to check on it and were standing about a parking spot away when i heard some 25ish year old girl and her friends walk by and say "Yeah they only made this for one year because of reliability and quality problems". I dont know why but that one set me off. I immediately started walking towards them hoping something else stupid would come out of her mouth, but they all walked off quick and I didnt get my opportunity. In 2.5 years of ownership I have never been so upset about a comment. Probably because the way she said it and the fact I did not get the chance to put her in her place....idk..
    I had a Mustang guy at a show walk up and just say, "Buick motor." I asked him what he meant and he just pointed at the motor and repeated himself. I gently explained it was not a Buick motor. His next comment was that I was wrong because he had a buddy that had the first DeLorean off of the line, and they put Buick motors in them. Needless to say I paid him no more attention.

Also, the DeLorean Facts graphic is a must have for cruise in's. I had one blown up and framed poster sized and it fits perfectly propped in the engine bay.
    Last edited by NOWAX; 04-27-2024 at 10:32 PM.

My VIN:    10287

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by NOWAX View Post
    I had a Mustang guy at a show walk up and just say, "Buick motor." I asked him what he meant and he just pointed at the motor and repeated himself. I gently explained it was not a Buick motor. His next comment was that I was wrong because he had a buddy that had the first DeLorean off of the line, and they put Buick motors in them. Needless to say I paid him no more attention.

Also, the DeLorean Facts graphic is a must have for cruise in's. I had one blown up and framed poster sized and it fits perfectly propped in the engine bay.
    How many guys have you come across who knows someone who owned the "first DeLorean..."? I think I'm up to 20 or thereabouts.

Let's see I've been told my car is powered by a Chevy engine, Ford, VW, AMC, Lamborghini (I can go along with that one), a one cylinder, and a helicopter(?!) motor. Those are the ones that have stuck with me for some reason or another.
    Nick A.

1988 BMW 325is
    1982 DeLorean DMC-12
    1989 Jaguar XJ6

My VIN:    7012

Quote Originally Posted by AugustneverEnds View Post
    Let's see I've been told my car is powered by a Chevy engine, Ford, VW, AMC, Lamborghini (I can go along with that one), a one cylinder, and a helicopter(?!) motor. Those are the ones that have stuck with me for some reason or another.
    I think I read that the DeLorean was initially planned to have a radial engine (though of course this could be urban legend as well). I think there are some helicopters that also use radial engines, so maybe that was the connection.

Quote Originally Posted by mike123 View Post
    I think I read that the DeLorean was initially planned to have a radial engine (though of course this could be urban legend as well). I think there are some helicopters that also use radial engines, so maybe that was the connection.
    The only radial engines I know of in helicopters are huge. No chance of fitting in the D. There was a Subaru engine that was designed for a helicopter, but never got put in one. Good engine, but I believe Josh told me it won?t fit without major frame cutting.

My VIN:    nov 81 6900-

Quote Originally Posted by mike123 View Post

The Wankel Rotary engine? If you read the wiki page on delorean they go through all the failed engine options that didnt make it. I dont even know if i trust whats on there.....

My VIN:    03500

Well people get the Delorean mixed up with the Bricklin. The Bricklin had the AMC than the Ford Windsor. The Tucker had a flat 6 piston helicopter engine.

Dave B.
    Last edited by WHO1DMC; 04-28-2024 at 12:50 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast