FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Looking to buy/save up for

Looking to buy/save up for

Hello! I'm Ayden, the DeLorean has been my dream car since I was 10. Surprisingly my interest in not spark because of the back to the Future movie, it was because of the GTA5 Deluxo! It was such a cool car and I loved the doors, and I wondered if it was real so I looked it up and it turns out it was a DeLorean! Then I saw that it was featured in a movie so I watched all the back of the future movies at least three times!

Currently I am 17 and a junior in highschool, I'm looking for information on prices to start saving or a good deal car that is affordable to a highschool student. My preferences are that it is running and there are no harmful problems that come with driving the car back and forth. I am willing to do little tune ups and fix things if needed. Please contact me if anyone knows anything!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

My VIN:    628

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

This thread may end up getting locked but before that happens, there are a lot of factors that you should consider.

What is your approximate purchase price you are looking for? These cars are rare and can pop up and disappear in the blink of an eye. Once you are ready to pull the trigger, have all of your funding ready to go well in advance.

Since you are looking for a running and driving car, expect a minimum of $30k if you are lucky enough to find that unicorn, but expect to pay 40-55k for a solid runner at a minimum.
    Jesse Baker
    VIN 628
    Black Interior, Automatic
    TNDMC: TN DeLorean Motor Club

Thanks for the info! What does the thread getting locked out mean?

My VIN:    05457

Quote Originally Posted by ayden333 View Post

Getting locked would mean an admin would make this thread read only. Not sure why that would happen unless people start posting mean things or yelling at each other about what a running car costs.

$30k is on the low end for a car that runs but they exist. Depends on how much you want to wrench on it. $50k would likely be able to get you a mostly sorted car with small items yet to work out.

The other advice I would have is not to count on it as your daily driver. People do, but this isn't the kind of car that when something breaks you can always go to AutoZone and find the right part to get it back on the road. If you need reliable daily transport, be sure you have another car (or Uber) at the ready.

The Illustrated Buyer's Guide is also a regularly recommended book that includes info on what to look for and what to avoid when buying a DeLorean. It might be a good resource for you.
    Last edited by DavidProehl; 03-26-2024 at 09:43 AM.
    David Proehl

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by ayden333 View Post

The threads are only "locked out"/closed when an item has been purchased/sold, or by OP request.
    Members are asked to not post in the For Sale and Services / Want To Buy section(s), unless they are personally buying or selling an item (see Sticky HERE ). This was done to help with legal issues; thread hijacking; triggering of notifications when subscribed to a thread, over banter, etc., etc. Posts offered as help are usually ignored, but may be deleted/moved.
    A much nicer place since the rules were changed.
    Good luck!

My VIN:    5312

I really hope this thread doesnt get locked. I hate to be a negative person, but you missed the train on finding a cheaper car by about 10-15 years. But you never know, life is funny that way. Start saving when you are young, network, make car friends. I actually found another local owner that had a car all because i had a dmc shirt on and was at the autostore buying spark plugs for my miata. As a first car at your age, learn the basics, how to do oil changes, what makes a good driver, good lane habits, maintenece etc. Then start saving, dont break into that savings account. Stay here on the forums, get to learn what to look for in a delorean so that day comes you are ready you can hop on it. Go to local car shows, see if theres any local owners. Ask to go for a drive or to sit so youc an see what its like.
    - OCT81 DeLorean DMC-12 Vin 5312 "DeLores"
    - 1978 Lotus Esprit S2 "Problem Child"
    - 1995 Mazda Miata Turbo "Happy Daily Driver"

I repair Lotus's with DeLorean parts

Quote Originally Posted by Riley88 View Post
    I really hope this thread doesnt get locked. I hate to be a negative person, but you missed the train on finding a cheaper car by about 10-15 years. But you never know, life is funny that way. Start saving when you are young, network, make car friends. I actually found another local owner that had a car all because i had a dmc shirt on and was at the autostore buying spark plugs for my miata. As a first car at your age, learn the basics, how to do oil changes, what makes a good driver, good lane habits, maintenece etc. Then start saving, dont break into that savings account. Stay here on the forums, get to learn what to look for in a delorean so that day comes you are ready you can hop on it. Go to local car shows, see if theres any local owners. Ask to go for a drive or to sit so youc an see what its like.
    Yes I did unfortunately miss the cheap ones! Back when I first wanted one they were around 15-18k. I've learned more than the basics already my family has auto shops in town. I was looking for one to get for my birthday but if I can't find one I'll start saving! Me and my dad should be driving down to Humble TX for a test drive soon!