FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: New Owner first Question about injectors

New Owner first Question about injectors

Hi!

New Delorean owner here, I've throwing myself in at the very very deep end by starting on a total restoration project (needs a frame off restoration) on a car that has been sitting for at least ten years (car is on its way over to me on a boat), so probably I'm just looking for some virtual encouragement !

For reasons (to register it, see how the mechanicals are) before I start the full restoration I need to get it "running", the engine starts with fuel direct into it and I'll be replacing everything fuel related, the fuel pump (clean the tank) , all the lines, the fuel distributor etc., here is my question: Should I just bite the bullet and replace all the injectors as part of the fuel system revamp or will some of them be ok and just swap out the bad/worse ones after a flow test?

Thanks

My VIN:    11596

This project will take tens of thousands of $$$$, what's another $350? New injectors yes.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    Andy Lien

VIN 11596 Jan 1982 build - owned since Nov. 2000!
    Total frame-off restoration completed 2021-2023

Photography and Backpacking is life.

Was Fargo, ND
    Now Kansas City

My VIN:    nov 81

congrats.. share some pics once it arrives... what is the ETA?

On one hand, Lots of cars sit 10 years or more and the injectors are fine. Do some simple tests to confirm.

On the other hand, I have to agree with Andy, if your really doing a frame off restoration, seems like a part that you would replace.

My VIN:    2245

Sitting for 10 years doesn't seem that bad on injectors, if it was kept in a garage it should be fine since you are going to clean out the tank and replace the pump.

What country do you live in?

If you're in the US you can get the injectors from rockauto
    https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...t=6224&jsn=333

Also some other good places to buy parts are
    https://deloreanindustries.com/
    https://www.deloreango.com/

You can even get some parts from local hardware stores with lifetime warranties, so when it wears out they'll replace the part for free or give you you're money back if they no longer carry the part.

I would avoid dmch, in my experience their reproduction parts are often poor quality junk which fail prematurely. In the past I wouldn't have had a problem with their NOS parts but since they've been sitting on shelves for over 40 years now, who knows how moister from just the air have corroded parts. They may look new from the outside but open up that crate motor and it'll need a full rebuild.

My VIN:    0934

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Emit View Post
    Should I just bite the bullet and replace all the injectors as part of the fuel system revamp or will some of them be ok and just swap out the bad/worse ones after a flow test?
    There are several places you can send your injectors to for flow testing. Since you can't properly test them on the car until all the upstream fuel devices are working well this is a good option.

I've used this shop in New York to test my D's original injectors. You get the test report with flow rates and opening pressures sent to you along with your injectors. I think the rate for flow testing is $8 per injector plus reasonable shipping.

Turnaround was just a day or two after the injectors got there.

Use their Flow Test Only option. I think K-Jet injectors like ours either work or they don't.
    March '81, 5-speed, black interior

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Not only will you have to work on the fuel system, the brake and clutch systems are probably in need of a lot of work. Cooling system too. Get in touch with your favorite parts vendor and see what they sell as "Master" kits so you don't buy everything piece-by-piece. Another worry is frame rot depending on how the car was cared for. Trying to at least get it running and moving under it's own power can help you figure out the initial condition of all of the systems but if you are doing a full rebuild it is not quite as important. First thing to do on the fuel system is to empty and wipe out the fuel tank. Have fun.
    David Teitelbaum

Thanks everyone, I put two in my cart and I can swap out the worst ones, then do the rest (or not) later. It's just to get the engine running so I can figure out what's next. I've got a full set of fuel lines and hoses on order, anything rubber is likely to be rotted/blocked/cracked/leaking, so I may as well do it all.

I'm based in Ireland and here is the plan ("everyone has a plan until their punched in the face"):

• Car arrives end of the month, get it "running" to see what needs doing (as was mentioned above probably everything, fuel system replace, I expect all brake lines, bushings, hoses to be dead, all electrical connections to be corroded, cooling system rebuild/replace, all seals/weather-stripping perished etc., and whatever is ok is a win!)
    • Get it registered
    • I'm getting the frame and body worked on in the UK, so to save money on paying to have it separated, the frame stripped down and then rusty hardware reattached I'm going to separate it myself, remove the engine and gearbox, strip the frame of everything but wheels and basic suspension the then reattach it and send that over
    • Then simply put it all back together when it's back

Quote Originally Posted by Emit View Post
    [*]Then simply put it all back together when it's back [/LIST]
    I would be looking for a wife like ?SuperCoolBill?.

Club(s):   (DCF) (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by r00b View Post
    Sitting for 10 years doesn't seem that bad on injectors, if it was kept in a garage it should be fine since you are going to clean out the tank and replace the pump.
    My car sat for 20 years and the original injectors were ok. It was the K-jet components that were rough from old fuel. I converted it to EFI.
    ~LXA~
    Dunmurry | Stuttgart | Leipzig | Munich | Tochigi | Fremont | Bratislava | Sindelfingen | Kansas City | Oakville | Coventry