FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Silicone oil pan gasket

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Silicone oil pan gasket

Is there a reason silicone oil pan gaskets are no longer available? Did they leak? Should I not use it and stick with the fiber gasket? I have searched and cannot find anything about the silicone gaskets, it's like they never existed. Long story short is I ordered a fiber gasket, among other things, but the lovely postal service lost my parts order. The pan gasket is the last thing I need and I have a brand new silicone gasket that I've had on the shelf for years. Now that it comes down to the time to need it, I'm questioning why they're gone.
    Last edited by dn010; 04-12-2024 at 09:38 AM.
    -----Dan B.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Can't imagine why an oil pan gasket would be made from silicone. The reason one would use a Silicone gasket is they are reusable. How many times does one need to drop the oil pan? I would just use a tried and true oe gasket.
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

+1
    Wait for an OE gasket.

Thanks fellas, I'll put the silicone one back up on the shelf and reorder all the lost parts, this time using fedex!
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    10757 1st place Concourse 1998

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Thanks fellas, I'll put the silicone one back up on the shelf and reorder all the lost parts, this time using fedex!
    I never saw a silicone gasket used there. The original OEM one was some kind of composite materiel that becomes hard as a rock. A real PITA to clean up and remove! Good thing about them is they never seem to leak. The trouble with silicone gaskets is if you over-tighten them they squish out but they are reusable. Good for places like valve covers, not crankcase pans so much.
    David Teitelbaum

Yes, I've "been there, done that" with those original gaskets and an air angle grinder with a medium abrasive pad on it makes it go pretty quick as long as you don't bite into the aluminum. The silicone gasket in question was from DPI (back in 2015), lots of love for Josh & DPI but I noticed they went to a Garlock gasket now - I would have ordered from Josh but they don't have them ready yet.
    Last edited by dn010; 04-12-2024 at 04:03 PM.
    -----Dan B.

My VIN:    2245

The original gasket was asbestos. When I swapped out my oil pan, I cleaned off the asbestos gasket then used RTV silicone.

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by dn010 View Post
    Yes, I've "been there, done that" with those original gaskets and an air angle grinder with a medium abrasive pad on it makes it go pretty quick as long as you don't bite into the aluminum. The silicone gasket in question was from DPI (back in 2015), lots of love for Josh & DPI but I noticed they went to a Garlock gasket now - I would have ordered from Josh but they don't have them ready yet.
    We are producing another batch the week after next. We invested in a cnc system for cutting gaskets in-house. We just finished running a batch of air horn gaskets out of 1/32 Garlock and will be moving on to the thicker ones shortly.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

Hate to be the loan desenter, but silicone gaskets work fine. They are usually the upgrade. I don?t have one on mine, but I?ve had them on other cars. I would use it if I was in the OPs situation in a minute.

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by Helirich View Post
    Hate to be the loan desenter, but silicone gaskets work fine. They are usually the upgrade. I don?t have one on mine, but I?ve had them on other cars. I would use it if I was in the OPs situation in a minute.
    Don't think anyone said there was a problem with them, just questioned the existence of them. It's like an electric cat polisher. Sure it works, but why?
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast