FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Bad Fuse

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Bad Fuse

I was tracing down why my low level beams weren't working tonight and ran across this fuse that was for the high beam. The high beam was working fine but after seeing this fuse I decided I'd better replace it. What would cause part of the fuse to turn white under the plastic? Corrosion?
    Attached Images

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    Corrosion?
    $.02

Exactly what I'd say from the pic...note the color of the blades (except for the scrapes), they are dark and the left one has been hot and bubbled the plastic (white...swelled and cracked too). I can't see it being anything else with the internal part being sharp and bright...

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    $.02

Exactly what I'd say from the pic...note the color of the blades (except for the scrapes), they are dark and the left one has been hot and bubbled the plastic (white...swelled and cracked too). I can't see it being anything else with the internal part being sharp and bright...
    Guess I'd better pull all my fuses and polish them. Can't have a fire in there.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    Guess I'd better pull all my fuses and polish them. Can't have a fire in there.
    At the price of fuses, just replace them.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

And don't just replace them with what is there, double check what is supposed to be in which socket...

My VIN:    6585

Also don't forget to have at least 1 sacrificial fuse to insert & remove several times in each socket to clean out the corrosion in there. Just clean it with a pink eraser when it gets dirty. Once you get that done you might just want to check the connections on the relays in there as well.

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

If you've got overheating that bad it will only be a matter of time before you're rebuilding your electrical compartment anyway... I can't recommend doing it before something bad happens enough Lots of resources here to help with the job.