FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: In need of some help in the Baltimore area

My VIN:    03527

In need of some help in the Baltimore area

Hey guys, I am wondering if anyone is able to come take a look at my DeLorean one day and give me some advice. I've begun tackling the project and realize now that I am grossly under qualified. I would seriously appreciate anyone who would have some time to take a peek at a couple areas that are giving me trouble, plus I'd like to go over the things I'm planning on replacing to see if I missed anything.

I'm in north east Baltimore city, thanks to anyone who is interested.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by 240z View Post
    Hey guys, I am wondering if anyone is able to come take a look at my DeLorean one day and give me some advice. I've begun tackling the project and realize now that I am grossly under qualified. I would seriously appreciate anyone who would have some time to take a peek at a couple areas that are giving me trouble, plus I'd like to go over the things I'm planning on replacing to see if I missed anything.

I'm in north east Baltimore city, thanks to anyone who is interested.
    You're not under qualified. Cleaning and updating the VOD is a just a LOT of easy steps. It takes a long time, but it certainly isn't impossible.

You've got the manifold off and you're staring into a messy abyss right? So, now ask yourself if:

1 - you're just cleaning it?
    2 - replacing/updating anything (like ignition, cooling hoses etc)?

If 1, you'll still need to drain the coolant so you can remove the Y-pipe and heater piping for best access. No biggie!

If 2, determine what you need to replace. If you want to play it safe, do everything. You can buy kits from DMC that provide everything you need.

Either way, there are some items that would be (somewhat) mandatory, such as the gaskets on the y-pipe and intake manifold. Those are seals you don't want to compromise!

Keep us posted. Don't forget there are threads here about other peoples VOD clean-ups you can reference too.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Thanks for the response, it makes sense to just replace many of the common items. Gaskets for sure, but while I'm in there I plan to replace at least: Fuel lines, water pump, all coolant lines, radiator, alternator, AC (if I really want it and can afford it haha) and some other items I'm no doubt forgetting. The car has had the absolute minimal maintenance before I owned it, and I haven't given it the proper attention until now.

While I'm tearing it to pieces the front and rear fascia will get painted, the headliner will be replaced, the carpet is moldy, the seat covers are dry rotted and I need all new weatherstripping.

Gonna have to sell a kidney I guess haha...

My VIN:    2681

Club(s):   (DMA)

There are quite a few people near baltimore who I am sure would be willing to take a look at your car or at least talk about your plans at some point. Did you have a list of what specific projects and budgets you have in mind? I'll let some of the people near the area know about this post so keep checking up on it.

Thanks for the response, glad to hear there are some people in my area. I'm still flushing out my exact plans, for now it's all about cleaning and still disassembling.

My current list looks something like this though:
    The car would overheat immediately in traffic, so I'm going to replace the radiator (it leaks) all the lines, the overflow bottle (mine is cracked) and the thermostat and water pump.

It smoked white pretty bad, so first I plan to inspect the fuel system (clean the tank, replace the fuel pump, possibly injectors).

Cosmetics, while not mechanically essential, are very high on my list as well. My fasicas need serious attention, louvres are cracked, lower engine cover is cracked, hood doesn't pop, T-panel needs adjusting...I've got my work cut out.

My overall goal is to have the car drivable and more or less presentable by sept. 2012, we'll see how that pans out.

Thanks again for the help guys, I really appreciate it.

My VIN:    02075

If it's smoking white & you're having issues with a leaky cooling system, there's a good chance you have a blown head gasket or cracked head from overheating. Is it really smoke or steam? Steam dissipates quickly & smoke just continues to float away. Also, if coolant leaking past a broken head gasket, the exhaust will smell sweet & there also will likely be water in the oil which will make it look milky-brown like chocolate milk.

DMC-CA cams & custom Flowmaster muffler
    1/4 mile time - 16.792s @ 81.45MPH

A blown head gasket is what I'm most worried about. The car would take multiple attempts to start, when it did it would emit white smoke for a few minutes, but it wouldn't plume the entire time driving.

I've spent a couple hours today scrubbing away at the VOD but am still a ways from being ready to paint it. I plan on draining the oil this week, I didn't know about the water in the oil check, thanks for that great tip.

My VIN:    2681

From the sound of it, you should definitely check your oil and see what it looks like, as mentioned above. I'd just drain it entirely and see, you're going to need to change it eventually, and once you start this project you won't be driving it anyways. Would also be advisable to drain the coolant as well and see what it looks like.

Before you do, definitely do the smell test on your exhaust as well. A video of it would be nice too even, for other people to hear how it runs and what the smoke looks like.

Odds are though, if the car is having problems turning over and start consistently, you're looking at more than just replacing the radiator and some coolant line parts to get it in safe, reliable, and good running condition. How mechanically inclined are you? Are you going to attempt to do these repairs yourself/with help or take it to a mechanic?

I am not very mechanically inclined, I'm learning as I'm going. So far, the intake manifold has been removed, the Y pipe and the water pump. I'm cleaning the VOD as it was in REALLY bad shape, pretty decent amount of corrosion.

At this time, I'm trying to do the work all myself. I wish I had taken some videos while the car was still together, don't know why I didn't think to.

I drained the oil today, it was not milky at all, though it did smell of gas a lot.

I'm continuing my work on cleaning, hopefully I will be able to paint the VOD soon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast