FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Console switches don't align? Voila! Problem solved!

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

Club(s):   (PNDC)

I had a simmilar problem... I didn't even install blocking. I just removed the ash tray and pulled up on the console cover.

That seemed to do the trick.

Steven

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Two things seem to cause the problem:

1 -The holes get opened up due to the switches coming in and out (this is what Matt fixed);
    2 - The console gets crushed (from crawling over it) which causes the switch connectors to hit the fiberglass body, forcing the switches up out of the holes. My favorite fix for this is a short (1 inch) piece of 2x4 lumber glued to the body just behind the switches to support the console in the OEM position. Take the ash tray out for access, you don't even need to remove the console.

Matt's fix actually does a bit of both as it's adding a slight thickness to the panel raising the switches a bit more from the body.

I know someone out there actually cut a recess in the fiberglass to fix this, but just supporting the console is much easier and presents less danger of cutting into the fuel lines. . . .
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

My VIN:    03572

I have to agree that the switches on mine tilting also drove me nuts. I fixed it by removing the console and hot gluing them in. By the way, with the console plate out I found the dummy switch hit on the ends. It is easy to see when it's out and you can look sideways at the fit. So to fix your poorly fitting dummy switches you need to "shave" a little of the plastic cap off where it hits the bends in the metal plate.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

My VIN:    6600

what dave said :-) I used a spray paint can lid lol worked great :-) and access via ash tray removel :-)

My VIN:    5625

Quote Originally Posted by kajcienski View Post
    Many DeLorean's I have seen (including my own) have the same issue - the console switches are out of alignment due to warping where the switches are seated. Being the OCD person I am, this always bothered me. Beyond the aesthetic issue, my driver's side window switch was actually getting stuck in the up or down position due to bad alignment. I thought I would hunker down and tackle this issue by doing the following...

I created a photoshop template of the switch cut-outs (very precise to accommodate the switches) and used that to make a rigid metal plate with a CNC machine in mind. I made sure the plate would fit very snug in the switch area to firmly secure the switch cluster. I then covered the plate with vinyl wrap (washable/waterproof) that matched the car interior pretty darn exact - I know more about types of available vinyl than I ever wanted to know. The switches then snapped right into the plate, then I secured the connectors, and then seated everything as a unit. As you can see below (before and after), I could not have asked for better results.

Now, the downside is the cost of the project (or time, depending how you go about it)... Unless you cut out the plate by hand (it can be done, but you need time and the right tools), it is expensive. If people are interested in a plate, let me know. If we can get enough people together who want one, I will try and get a cost quote. I could maybe put together a little kit with the vinyl sheet (that way if there are any small adjustments to be made, the plate can be filed and then wrapped). Thoughts in general? Or perhaps a better way to fabricate?

BEFORE:
    Attachment 6283

PLATE BEING WRAPPED IN VINYL:
    Attachment 6281

SWITCHES MOUNTED ON PLATE:
    Attachment 6280
    Attachment 6286
    Attachment 6279

INSTALLED:
    Attachment 6285
    Attachment 6284
    Attachment 6282
    Did you ever start making these? I would be interested if so.
    You can't buy happiness, but you can buy a DeLorean and that's sort of the same thing....

My VIN:    16793

Club(s):   (DMA) (LINY-DMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by Trstno1 View Post
    Did you ever start making these? I would be interested if so.
    We did in fact... I paired up with a member here and we made a short run of them. I am working on convincing Rob Grady to take the idea and run with it! Rob... Are you reading this??? This is such an easy and solid solution to a very common problem.
    DeLorean VIN 16793 - 1983
    Loving my power steering!

My VIN:    005058 000927

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (DOA) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by kajcienski View Post
    We did in fact... I paired up with a member here and we made a short run of them. I am working on convincing Rob Grady to take the idea and run with it! Rob... Are you reading this??? This is such an easy and solid solution to a very common problem.
    I didn't know you wanted me to make them! I have the one you gave me in my car and it works great. I'd be happy to make a production run so get in touch and we'll work out the details.
    Rob

My VIN:    4608- sold 4885- current

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    I didn't know you wanted me to make them! I have the one you gave me in my car and it works great. I'd be happy to make a production run so get in touch and we'll work out the details.
    Rob
    I am in when these make it to production

Senior Member - Owner since 2003 Patrick C's Avatar

My VIN:    1880

Club(s):   (DCO) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by PJ Grady Inc. View Post
    Rob
    Count me in on one.
    Patrick C.
    VIN 1880

My VIN:    4494

Club(s):  

Me too! Anything to make my stupid rear-fog light switch stay in place.

Quote Originally Posted by jwrayth View Post
    Me too! Anything to make my stupid rear-fog light switch stay in place.
    I want one.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast