FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: How To: Auxiliary input for the Craig

My VIN:    1561

How To: Auxiliary input for the Craig

I'm answering the question that no one is asking with this How-To. Basically, how to modify the Craig to accept sound input from devices such as MP3 players without losing any functionality and without using FM transmitters or tape deck adapters. I put the directions (mainly just pictures) up on my little website that until last night hasn't changed in well over 2 years. So I won't repeat it all here.

http://1561project.com/?page=ipod-craig

Maybe this will help someone one day, I don't think anyone has bothered to do this before. On another note, anyone have any inexpensive suggestions for stock speaker replacements? In case it wasn't obvious, I'm not much of an audiophile, so I'm just looking for something that's a good match with the Craig and isn't 30 years old and disintegrated.

Later,
    Todd
    Last edited by todd1561; 10-24-2011 at 09:17 AM.

My VIN:    03238 Grey & Black Hybrid - Auto - work in progress Former owner 10902 - Universal 93 Raffle Car

I've been recommending some Infinity units that are rather reasonable (check Amazon) that a number of other owners are now enjoying as well...

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?57...es-of-speakers

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

A good FM transmitter is worlds better than even the best FM radio signal from a big station.

Radio stations use compressors and limiters to make their stations sound louder then their competitors, the idea being that the listener is more likely to stay on a louder station. This is why you've probably noticed parts that are normally quiet on a song you know are louder on the radio, but when the rest of the song kicks back in, it "seems" to get quieter as opposed to louder. That's compression, and a kind of a lousy tactic sonically since mixing and mastering music already adds compression and limiting.

Your FM transmitter won't do this, so there isn't nearly the same degradation as normal FM radio.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    A good FM transmitter is worlds better than even the best FM radio signal from a big station.

Radio stations use compressors and limiters to make their stations sound louder then their competitors, the idea being that the listener is more likely to stay on a louder station. This is why you've probably noticed parts that are normally quiet on a song you know are louder on the radio, but when the rest of the song kicks back in, it "seems" to get quieter as opposed to louder. That's compression, and a kind of a lousy tactic sonically since mixing and mastering music already adds compression and limiting.

Your FM transmitter won't do this, so there isn't nearly the same degradation as normal FM radio.
    I'm a little confused, are you under the impression I made an FM transmitter? Interesting information nonetheless.

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by todd1561 View Post
    I'm a little confused, are you under the impression I made an FM transmitter? Interesting information nonetheless.

Todd
    No. I'm under the impression you'd own or buy one.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

My VIN:    6125

Todd, thanks for the info! I have been wondering if there was a way to tap into the Craig like this since I first got my car. I'm planning to hardwire in an aux input connector for my ipod in the ash tray/coin try area.

FM transmitters are OK for the most part, but I have never been happy with the amount of static and crosstalk I get from other radio stations when I'm driving long distance. Inevitably I drive through an area where my transmitted frequency the same as a local radio station. I hate having to adjust frequencies and scan for one that is open.

Quote Originally Posted by sdg3205 View Post
    No. I'm under the impression you'd own or buy one.
    The point of the "How-To" was to illustrate how you could directly wire an auxiliary input right into the amp, thus making a device such as an FM transmitter or tape deck adapter unnecessary. I guess maybe I didn't make that clear?

Todd

My VIN:    4456 - Owner since March 2011

That's an great idea...

Do you have a step-by-step for those of us not versed in reading wiring schematics. I might like to do this but would need more info as to wear things are tied in and how. MOre pictures would be great if you took them.

Thanks,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by todd1561 View Post
    I'm answering the question that no one is asking with this How-To. Basically, how to modify the Craig to accept sound input from devices such as MP3 players without losing any functionality and without using FM transmitters or tape deck adapters. I put the directions (mainly just pictures) up on my little website that until last night hasn't changed in well over 2 years. So I won't repeat it all here.

http://1561project.com/?page=ipod-craig

Maybe this will help someone one day, I don't think anyone has bothered to do this before. On another note, anyone have any inexpensive suggestions for stock speaker replacements? In case it wasn't obvious, I'm not much of an audiophile, so I'm just looking for something that's a good match with the Craig and isn't 30 years old and disintegrated.

Later,
    Todd
    Cheers
    Steven Maguire

IT'S A TRAP!!!!!

EDIT - I misread your post. I see you've got it all worked out. Tight.
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mjdehlin View Post
    Todd, thanks for the info! I have been wondering if there was a way to tap into the Craig like this since I first got my car. I'm planning to hardwire in an aux input connector for my ipod in the ash tray/coin try area.

FM transmitters are OK for the most part, but I have never been happy with the amount of static and crosstalk I get from other radio stations when I'm driving long distance. Inevitably I drive through an area where my transmitted frequency the same as a local radio station. I hate having to adjust frequencies and scan for one that is open.
    Glad to see there's some interest in this. Those were my gripes with the FM transmitter as well. If you're OK with a soldering iron (I'm pretty terrible) you should be able to make this work easily enough.

Quote Originally Posted by TTait View Post
    I've been recommending some Infinity units that are rather reasonable (check Amazon) that a number of other owners are now enjoying as well...

http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?57...es-of-speakers
    Thanks I'll check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by mluder View Post
    That's an great idea...

Do you have a step-by-step for those of us not versed in reading wiring schematics. I might like to do this but would need more info as to wear things are tied in and how. MOre pictures would be great if you took them.

Thanks,
    Steve
    You really don't need to worry about the wiring schematics, I just put them up there in case anyone was interested. That and it took some time to track them all down so I didn't want to lose them. All you really need to do is pop off the bottom cover of the unit and you'll easily be able to match up my pictures with your unit. Then just solder some long pieces of wire to the points I specified and just terminate those leads on the other end to just a 3.5mm headphone jack or some other connector of your choosing. The second part is just putting the switch in the radio power circuit so it doesn't interfere with your new AUX device. That step is the last picture. Just run your new wires out the back of the unit using the holes the antenna wire goes through.

I kinda wish I had taken more pictures, I wasn't really expecting much interest, I figured most people who want to integreate 21st century media players into 30 year old stereos would just buy a new stereo. But glad to see there are some tinkerers out there.

Todd
    Last edited by todd1561; 10-24-2011 at 02:21 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast