FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: EMI from solid core plug wires

Club(s):   (DCF)

EMI from solid core plug wires

I just wanted to check with others doing EFI if they ever had issues with EMI using the DeLorean.com silicone wire. I would like to say the quality was fine and see no issues there. I always inspect new parts as a put them on and could not help but notice what I thought was a solid copper wire folded over and crimped on the end that goes on the distributor. This would not cause to much issue for the K-jet but it will cause major issues for a uP based EFI system. I did not want to pull the new set of wires apart to get a better look but wanted to ask if anyone else noticed that. I plan to confirm this week but wanted to share with everyone that you can not run solid core plug wires with EFI or you will have major issues with noise and the ECU cutting out oe loosing sync.

I just confirmed that the DeLorean.com labeled spark plug wires are solid copper core and should not be used with EFI.

Dave at DMCMW said the OEM type they sell are EMI suppressant, so that's good news. I also forgot I can use a 1989 Eagle premier wire set as the distributor sits on the opposite corner of the motor so the wires should fit and it came EFI from the factory. It also comes with a coil wire but it may be to long so you may have to cut one end and re-crimp a terminal at the proper length.

For you guys building an EFI setup, good EMI suppressant plug wires are a MUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I learned the hard way with my first 3.0L turbo PRV I built. The DeLorean electrical system is already noisy so adding 6 transmitting antennas out in the engine bay is not good.

Quote Originally Posted by 82dmc-12 View Post
    Dave at DMCMW said the OEM type they sell are EMI suppressant, so that's good news. I also forgot I can use a 1989 Eagle premier wire set as the distributor sits on the opposite corner of the motor so the wires should fit and it came EFI from the factory. It also comes with a coil wire but it may be to long so you may have to cut one end and re-crimp a terminal at the proper length.

For you guys building an EFI setup, good EMI suppressant plug wires are a MUST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I learned the hard way with my first 3.0L turbo PRV I built. The DeLorean electrical system is already noisy so adding 6 transmitting antennas out in the engine bay is not good.
    very nice research. I'm currently using Magnecor KV85 cables on my EFI setup..
    Let us reply to ambition that it is she herself that gives us a taste for solitude.

Here is a pic of the copper core.

Update, the eagle premier wires DO NOT just work. The boost are longer and to not seal on the tubes. I had to modify the set for Sherry's car by re-crimping new ends and trimming the boot down. Seals perfect and I was able to make them the perfect length so there was not extra wire needing to be looped around.