FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com

Thread: Throttle cable solution?

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Throttle cable solution?

I guess this would only apply to those running a non-stock engine, like the Eagle or in my case B280F. What did you guys do for a throttle cable? Original? Replacement? I have mine rigged up but to be honest I am a little concerned with it lasting long term so I'm looking for an alternate solution here. The problem with my cable is that the end is just "cable", it would help greatly if it had a "ferrule" on the end...
    Last edited by dn010; 06-09-2015 at 02:58 PM.
    -----Dan B.

Go to your nearest local bicycle store and get a brake cable ferrule (or several if you're not sure what size you need, they're really cheap). You can crimp it on carefully with a set of wire dykes.

As for the rest, I modified an 87 Corvette lever-style TPS to be actuated by the spring inside the spool, but I was also looking for a better way to do it. I picked up a throttle body + TPS off a Volvo 850 and planned to cut the shaft off the throttle and have it welded to the center of the DMC spool, then suspend the Volvo TPS from a bracket. Never got farther than the parts though.
    Aka Adam S, aka Adam Wright
    1981 DMC-12 #3416, mothballed in preparation for motor swap
    2006 Volvo S60R

My VIN:    5003 Never placed Concourse

Club(s):   (DCF)

Thanks, I appreciate the tip. I'll check it out and see what I can do. I could also use another inner core wire for the throttle cable, too bad I just placed an order with DMCH and forgot that one!

Good info on the TPS. My setup is B280F stock but the original TPS was a Bosch switch type TPS. I had to go with a smaller, newer Bosch TPS from a Kia (probably the same as yours, 0280122001?) that is the potentiometer type, fabricate a new plate for it, cut the shaft down and it is now good to go-didn't even have to change the plug for it from the stock plug . If you have the same throttle body/setup that I have, I have a "test" one that I cut the shaft and made a bracket for if you're interested. I did this prior to doing the "real" fabrication. I just have to find it is all...

Quote Originally Posted by AdmiralSenn View Post
    Go to your nearest local bicycle store and get a brake cable ferrule (or several if you're not sure what size you need, they're really cheap). You can crimp it on carefully with a set of wire dykes.

As for the rest, I modified an 87 Corvette lever-style TPS to be actuated by the spring inside the spool, but I was also looking for a better way to do it. I picked up a throttle body + TPS off a Volvo 850 and planned to cut the shaft off the throttle and have it welded to the center of the DMC spool, then suspend the Volvo TPS from a bracket. Never got farther than the parts though.
    Last edited by dn010; 06-10-2015 at 02:06 PM.
    -----Dan B.