FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Software & Tuning

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

I expect that in another week or two that my VE table should be close to dialed in, at which point I will share it. It should be good for most Spec 2 or Stage 2 engines.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Quote Originally Posted by cineman View Post
    Hello spittybug, maybe this is interesting for you.
    This are the maps of the original eprom bin of a renix ecu injection for a Renault PRV 2849cc, even firing version, about 155hp. Map of timing and VE.
    Like you can see timing goes to about 46deg in this oem factory maps, but like i told you there are sport maps wich goes even to 60deg... for modified engine.
    Interesting to see also this line of where the stock engine has the torque ( around 2700rpm ) with greater VE numbers...

Attachment 8736
    Looking at your advance table, I don't see a lot of load based (vacuum) advance. In the idle area you have +/- 5* changes, doesn't that give you hunting? VE numbers change a lot in the idle area too. When you hit the throttle and go atmospheric, our stock distributor adds in 20* of advance, to the mid 30s. Your's only goes to the mid 20s. I'm wondering why? Generally speaking, I think your advance table looks a lot like what I'd expect, just lower on the vacuum. How does it behave? Well? Was it determined on a dyno or by feel? Do you have torque values to go along with it?
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    #01748 #20011 #10902

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    Looking at your advance table, I don't see a lot of load based (vacuum) advance. In the idle area you have +/- 5* changes, doesn't that give you hunting? VE numbers change a lot in the idle area too. When you hit the throttle and go atmospheric, our stock distributor adds in 20* of advance, to the mid 30s. Your's only goes to the mid 20s. I'm wondering why? Generally speaking, I think your advance table looks a lot like what I'd expect, just lower on the vacuum. How does it behave? Well? Was it determined on a dyno or by feel? Do you have torque values to go along with it?
    That is not MY table, is a direct reading of a factory Renault OEM 2.8 PRV eprom injection, so it's surely roadly and thinkered and with miles and testing behind it.
    I did not tested that maps directly on a delorean engine, but i drove a car with that PRV and maps and it was normal and good...
    Andrea - #01748 3.0lt Twin Turbo EFI, custom brakes, suspensions, manual trans - black interior -
    PRV's lover. Club Italiano Delorean www.dmc12.it

Not a DeLorean Guru

Attached is my tune for my Spec 2 EFI build, after 300 miles of driving and auto-tuning. Idle bounces between 52 and 56 Kpa; expected considering the large cams.

This tune should be good for an engine build similar to the following:

Ported & polished heads
    Aggressive camshafts
    Spec 1/stage 1 exhaust

The spec 2 package is more aggressive than the stage 2, so it may not be an optimal tune for stage 2.
    Attached Files
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Mike, I notice your acceleration enhancement goes from 1ms to 6ms. Do you find this to work well? No jerking, bogging or otherwise negative performance? I find this the hardest thing to dial in. I'm using MAP not TPS since the TPS is noisy and give unintentional acceleration boost.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Not a DeLorean Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    Mike, I notice your acceleration enhancement goes from 1ms to 6ms. Do you find this to work well? No jerking, bogging or otherwise negative performance? I find this the hardest thing to dial in. I'm using MAP not TPS since the TPS is noisy and give unintentional acceleration boost.
    I haven't noticed any undesirable effects from my AE choices. I do tend to drive my car pretty aggressively.

I can't really use MAP very well, as the bigger cams don't cooperate as well there as using TPS based does.

The most noticeable difference with my new engine build (as far as tuning goes) is the idle. The MAP sensor reads a higher and more varied KPa. Have to run a little richer at idle too, to keep the cams happy.
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Not a DeLorean Guru

I have had to do a pretty significant re-work of my cranking pulsewidths, afterstart enrichment, and warm-up enrichment in light of my significantly souped up engine.

With the values in the attached tune, the car starts nicely after very little cranking.

Then, ASE remains on for ~20-30 seconds, and the AFR runs at 11-12 during this time. Once the ASE switches off, and the WUE is still going, the AFR will run at 12-13.5, until fully warm. Once the car is fully warm, the AFR will fluctuate between 13.5 and 14.2.

With the idle speed set at ~750, the KPa will flux between 52 and 60 at idle. This about right for cams of this size.

This tune should be pretty much spot on for a DPI Spec 2 build, or a good starting point for a DMC-H Stage 2. The stage 2 is noticeably less aggressive, so my values are likely too rich for it, but would be a good starting point.

2012-04-02 improved cranking pulsewidth ase and wue.msq
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

Thanks Mike; getting everyone figuring out the nuances of tuning will really help.

Our proto car #2 has the DMCH stage 2 cams and he had a hell of a time getting it to start using my tune as a starting point. I haven't seen his tables yet, but he told me he had to cut down the fuel on the cranking and up it on the VE table. Ian claims it is now idling well and he has driven it (fixed distributor timing!). I have the two coil driver chips from DIYautotune to put into both of the MS units this week. At that point we'll have both of them full fuel & spark control.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Not a DeLorean Guru

I would be curious to hear what is idle KPa is at. Should be a good judge of just how different the cuts of camshaft are.
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    06960

My idle KPa is around 68. This is with the Z7U intake and throttle, DMCEurope cams, high compression pistons and a 1mm decked head.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast