FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9

Thread: Spittybug #2329 Peugeot 604 manifold custom conversion

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Owen, I've been using your AE table/values for a few days now. Very nice!
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Cool. That's the whole reason for sharing.

I got motivated this afternoon and tried the gslender code for closed loop IAC control again. Not 100% sure, but I think I've got it pretty close. Like most MS things, the trickyness is in the fact that it so variable. You have to carefully define your RPMs with the IAC fully open and fully closed (set the extremes). You also have to carefully define the number of steps for fully open and fully closed. This is tougher than it would appear to be!

After that, you set the P, I and D (usally 0%) gains by trial and error. These values are part of an algorithm that returns the idle to the point you set for any given coolant temp (a curve). You are optimizing how quickly it gets there, the amount of overshoot and the absolute accuracy. This takes a lot of patience and trial and error.

In addition, the code has an adjustment for VE at idle and an adjustment for timing at idle. Once all are enacted, the car performs like a modern one with respect to "settling down" and adjusting for changes of load at idle. I need to go road test after my changes.

Mike, the code you loaded, was that before or after I went to Lambda instead of AFR? Because Lambda is fuel indifferent and is measuring stoicheometric optimum no matter what fuel, it makes more sense to use. You have to make that definition at the project level, not on the menus. Once done however, it will automatically change your AFR table to a Lambda table by dividing by 14.7. Since it doesn't change the VE table, the car drives the same. I tried leaning my table out (5% IIRC) and I didn't notice a performance change, so I've adopted it for some fuel savings.

On a separate note, we had our monthly "Cars and Coffee" meet this morning. WOW. This thing has gotten huge! If you aren't there by 7:00 AM, you don't get a spot! Ferrari had a semi there with 3 race cars. Some BIG $$$ vehicles there. Bugatti, Maserati, Lamborghini, Porsche, Ferrari, Fisker, you name it. On the parade of cars to exit the show at 9 AM or so, everyone lines up to take pictures. Who do you think they take the most pictures of and shout out the most praise for?????? YUP, the Delorean with the doors open, Disturbed blaring on the stereo and the digital dashboard on the laptop!! Good times.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Not a DeLorean Guru

I actually didn't load any of your code, I just opened your MSQ and copied the AE table. I am running an older revision of the code, 3.1.something, I think. But it does everything I need it to, so I don't want to change upgrading.

I am personally using the stock idle motor with great success. I found that trying a GM idle motor was a bear to get work right with no hunting, the idle where I wanted it when, etc.

No cars and coffee around here, but I would LOVE to go to one!
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

DUH, senior moment. I read AE and the fingers typed out stuff about VE tables and AFRs!!! Yea, the secret to AE seems to be in the flattness of the curve down low so that when it engages it isn't "bumpy". How good is your TPSdot? If you look at my logs you will see how quiet mine is with the new code and its dampening. That really helps in setting the AE low enough to work at all throttle stabs.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Not a DeLorean Guru

I would say it is between fair and good. MUCH better than my MAP though; my gnarly cam shafts pretty much stop the idea of MAP based in its tracks.
    -Mike

2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

It's been nearly six months since posting in this thread. Boring I know, but that's 6 months of no issues with the EFI, no tinkering, no hot start problems, no acceleration issues, nothing. Whether it sits for an hour or for a month it fires right up. Damned EFI, now what am I supposed to fix?
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9