FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Opethmike Z7U manifold custom conversion

Lightbulb Opethmike Z7U manifold custom conversion

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Since I am going to attempt my conversion again soon, I would like to see pictures from Jim Reeve and Martin Gutkowski (sp?) of how they do the throttle spool set up with the Z7U manifold, please.

The Z7U throttle spool seen here and the one Jim has use the same mounting points but you have to get creative with the top of the water pump because it's designed for a different generation of pump which is in a slightly different position. Other than that, it's pretty simple. They don't always have that spring, BTW.

The throttle cable enters from the rear right, and on the GTA the cable really does swoop around to the back of the engine bay in order to attach. I have a 60mm piece of 8mm stainless rod drilled from each end to a depth of about 28mm with a 6mm bit, and then a centre bore of 2mm. I can then conjoin a new outer sheath with the original to lengthen it and replace the entire inner cable. I then sheath the joinwith electrical heat-shrink to keep moisture out.

I've got another Z7U manifold spare now if anyone wants one.
    Martin Gutkowski
    -------------
    Very part time DeLoreaner...

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Lightbulb Opethmike Z7U manifold custom conversion

I have the same manifold as Jim Reeve, and I am using the stock idle speed motor. It works, but it is a very unattractive setup. If my stock ISM dies at some point, then I will certainly move forward with a more modern solution.

Not a DeLorean Guru

Another question as I plan my second EFI attempt - where are you guys getting ground for the MS ECU from?

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Another question as I plan my second EFI attempt - where are you guys getting ground for the MS ECU from?
    I bought mine from www.DIYautotune.com They were fine to deal with, have a guy that is very knowledgeable who keeps his eye on the Megasquirt forums to help people, and have various technical articles/videos on their site that are helpful.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Not a DeLorean Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    I bought mine from www.DIYautotune.com They were fine to deal with, have a guy that is very knowledgeable who keeps his eye on the Megasquirt forums to help people, and have various technical articles/videos on their site that are helpful.
    Thanks Owen, but I meant where are you running the ground wires to

Thanks Owen, but I meant where are you running the ground wires to
    Sorry, coffee must not have kicked in yet. I ran my grounds (all bundled with a single heavy ring connector soldered on the end) to the driver's side head. There is a screw hole in the back right next to the dizzy. May have been where the vacuum advance solenoid mounted, I'm not positive. In any case, it's solid, secure and out of sight yet easy to reach. Since I run all my wires through the bulkhead hole for the Lambda probe to the compartment behind the driver's seat, this is also a very short run. I don't have a picture of back there, but can snap one if you need it.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Not a DeLorean Guru

Thanks Owen, I know exactly which spot you mean.

Not a DeLorean Guru

For those of you successfully running Megasquirt, what does your MAP sensor read at idle?

IIRC, in the 30 range. Dips lower on decel, but only briefly.
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Not a DeLorean Guru

My second attempt at converting 01049 to EFI commences on Sunday. Wish me luck!

My goal for Sunday is to strip K-Jet (I've made that an art at this point), install the intake manifold + injectors, install the idle speed motor, install the vacuum advance solenoid, plug the K-Jet injector ports, and then hook up my smoke machine to test for vacuum leaks.

The car should be ready for attempting to start by next weekend, as I simply have to re-install everything, albeit with some small differences in where I am getting ground + power.

Page 1 of 24 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast