FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14

Thread: New fuel tank/sender module!

My VIN:    10904

Does anybody else hate the electrical connector on the DMCH integrated pump and level sender units? I had to use big pliars to snap it on before it clicked, and it still comes off if I wiggle it gently.

I forgot all about this till I went in and put new screws on that access cover earlier this week. I must have knocked it loose because last night she wouldn't start. It took about 30 seconds to think to check that connector and sure enough, it was loose.

I'm afraid I'm going to break it if I squeeze any harder. Any suggestions other than to replace the unit?

-Bob

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by rdarlington View Post
    Does anybody else hate the electrical connector on the DMCH integrated pump and level sender units? I had to use big pliars to snap it on before it clicked, and it still comes off if I wiggle it gently.

I forgot all about this till I went in and put new screws on that access cover earlier this week. I must have knocked it loose because last night she wouldn't start. It took about 30 seconds to think to check that connector and sure enough, it was loose.

I'm afraid I'm going to break it if I squeeze any harder. Any suggestions other than to replace the unit?

-Bob
    Un-plug it.

Dribble a small amount of WD40 or the like on the rubber gasket in the shell (wire end), and make sure the gasket is laying flat. It's supposed to be a tight weatherproof fit, but the rubber is a bit sticky. If it goes in right it should not take that much force, in fact (like anything else plastic!) if you have to force it, something isn't right.
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

My VIN:    10904

Quote Originally Posted by DMCMW Dave View Post
    Un-plug it.

Dribble a small amount of WD40 or the like on the rubber gasket in the shell (wire end), and make sure the gasket is laying flat. It's supposed to be a tight weatherproof fit, but the rubber is a bit sticky. If it goes in right it should not take that much force, in fact (like anything else plastic!) if you have to force it, something isn't right.
    Thanks Dave. I'll give that a try.

-Bob

Banned

My VIN:    1798

Quote Originally Posted by rdarlington View Post

-Bob
    I had the same issue. I even tried removing the rubber gasket to no avail - it still wouldn't securely snap on. In retrospect, I could have tried shortening the length of the plastic plug by sanding/grinding it down a little bit, but I didn't. Instead, my ultimate solution was to wrap the entire plug/connector assembly in a decent amount of electrical tape to prevent unintended separation. Worked for 4 months before I put the car away for winter hibernation.

Best of luck!

If you do decide to try shortening the length of the plug a little, let us know how it worked

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14