FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: New fuel tank/sender module!

My VIN:    3028

Quote Originally Posted by jeff View Post
    Any tricks or tips getting getting the pump into the tank? It is a super tight fit!! I'm scared I'm going to break it trying to push it down. I worked on it for an hour, and its not in.

Did you attach the rubber to pump and then into the tank? Or did you place the rubber in the tank and then set the pump in?

I used a hair dryer to soften the rubber which seemed to make it a little easier but by then I was annoyed and gave up. I'll give it another go tonight.
    You should just be able to just press it down firmly, if you need help add some saliva (I know it sounds gross) and that might help.
    Barry

I've tried, I crawled in the trunk and applied as much as my 180lb weight would allow....I can't get it. Twisting, pushing and swearing lol.

I thought petro based lubricant ate rubber as well, but wasn't sure. Barry, could I use the silicon lube I posted a link for in the previous page?

My VIN:    897 5 spd,

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmyvonviggle View Post
    I'm sure you are joking because petroleum will break down rubber.
    If you put that much lube on it to break it down (if it is even petroleum sensitive...which it should not be since it is used in a tank full of petroleum!) you've used WAY too much. A little dab will do ya.

Avoid silicone in order to protect the O2 sensor.

I believe WD49 is fish oil... that might help. But if you have applied 180lbs and it won't go in there may be other issues. Does the tank have a lip inside?
    Nick
    - No matter how many people believe in a dumb idea ... it is still a dumb idea!
    - Some cars look fast. Some cars look faster than time!
    - The question is not "where did the time go" but rather "where to go in time".

My VIN:    3757

My guess is you will find you have an old style fuel tank... and it is a different size, as you have a really early car... There ie a used tank on E-bay for cheap now... that would fix it...

Craig

My VIN:    3028

Quote Originally Posted by nkemp View Post
    If you put that much lube on it to break it down (if it is even petroleum sensitive...which it should not be since it is used in a tank full of petroleum!) you've used WAY too much. A little dab will do ya.

Avoid silicone in order to protect the O2 sensor.

I believe WD49 is fish oil... that might help. But if you have applied 180lbs and it won't go in there may be other issues. Does the tank have a lip inside?
    Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there a difference between gasoline and a petroleum based lubricant like Vaseline and its effects on rubber?

Maybe you should measure the depth of your tank with a measuring tape, and then measure the compressed height of the fuel sending unit.
    Barry

I did measure the depth of the tank, the pump will fit. All it would take is the rubber gasket to be a few mm too thick, I don't know.

However I did manage to get it 90% in, farther than I have previously. I used the hair dryer and got the rubber nice and soft, and it was noticeable easier. 80% of the pump is flush but the last 20% is not quite there. The clamp is holding it down, I'll work on it a tomorrow.

I had less trouble changing my window regulator

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

Believe it or not this is the DIESEL fuel pump of my 2003 Grand Cherokee I exchanged a while ago.
    I found the similarity incredible!

The lower cap is removeable

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Looks a tad short. However, next time i am at the junkyard I will pull one just for kicks and see how it fits.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

My VIN:    MMMMMCMXCII

That is from the 2.7 CRD DIESEL Grand Cherokee Josh. The 3.0 DIESEL and 4.7 gasoline releases look very different

My VIN:    11408

Club(s):   (DMWC) (TXDMC) (DCUK) (DOI)

Well we do not have the 2.7, and the 3.0 is very hard to come by. Mostly 4.0's and 4.7's. I just figured the tank would be the same. The pump does look similar for the gassers.

Supercharged 5.3L LS4 + Porsche 6spd
    [email protected]
    lsdelorean.com
    I am not affiliated with Delorean Midwest in anyway.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast