FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast

Thread: Spittybug - Designs for converting stock setup to EFI

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Quote Originally Posted by lazabby View Post
    As many of you know a fellow Delorean owner and I did an EFI conversion earlier this year. This conversion kept the Delorean manifold. We have had an issue with the Megasquirt 3.57 box purchased from DIYAutotune. Numerous emails, discussions with various people, tests failed to solve a sync loss issue we were having with our cars at high RPMs. We knew it had to do with the 3.57 box as the 3.0 box worked fine. The 3.57 box wouldn't work in another owner's car that was running fine with the 3.0 box. Our only solution, besides buying a 3.0 box, was to take a Delorean to Georgia where DIY was located and have the guys there diagnose the problem. The fellow Delorean owner has been on a US tour in his Delorean and made it to DIY today. They worked on software and hardware setting and were NOT able to eliminate the sync loss problem. They did not figure out what the issue was causing the sync loss but felt it had to do with the spark plugs or wires. They know something in their 3.57 board is not quite right for the Deloreans but apparently works fine for other cars. When they put a 3.0 box in the car the car ran beautiful. So they swapped the boxes and now the Delorean is running fine with the 3.0 box. I'll be sending mine in for the swap.

Hopefull this will put this problem behind us and we can now move forward to tweaking the settings in the program on the box to get great performance with the cars. This will now open the way for other Delorean owners who want to do the conversion. Just remember to order the 3.0 box. Fortunately it's also less expensive than the 3.57 box.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spittybug View Post
    the problem has been acknowledged and rectified

all it takes is beating on the right people long enough to
    ward off the gremlins
    so it's time to and get all of those on the fence people converted!!!

Wait..... are you guys saying that DIYAutotune will swap a 3.0 box for a 3.57 box for us DeLorean EFI folks? If so, I am getting in on that!
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    16113

Club(s):   (SCDC) (DCUK)

Well they swapped Ian's and I'm sending mine in to be swapped. I don't know of any other D owners with the 3.57 box.
    Shannon

Not a DeLorean Guru

My VIN:    01049

Now you know another one I have a 3.57 box.
    -Mike

My engine twists my frame.

1981 DeLorean, Carb LS4 swap completed
    1999 Corvette, cam/headers/intake manifold, 400 rwhp
    2005 Elise, stock
    2016 Chevy Cruze

My VIN:    03572

There guess it has to do with spark just makes me think the coil driver should not have shared the unit ground and should use a return (ground) connection external to the unit. I made this suggestion back when I first looked over the schematics. I would be willing to modify a unit with that change if you would like. Just to see if it would fix the problem.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    Wait..... are you guys saying that DIYAutotune will swap a 3.0 box for a 3.57 box for us DeLorean EFI folks? If so, I am getting in on that!
    I don't know if they will do everyone. You can try.
    Shannon

I received my 3.57 box back today from DIY. They created a "solderless mod kit to change input inpedance" to match the 3.0 version. I put the box in the car and took it for a short drive. I can't get up to high speeds in my neighborhood but the car seemed to run well, except for a non-Megasquirt issue. When I got back home I put the car in park and revved the engine to close to redline with no sync loss. It appears that the problem has been fixed. I plan to spend more time on the car Saturday. Now for the fine tuning.
    Shannon

I've driven the car several times since I got the 3.57 box back with the change inside. I took the car out this evening and got up to 75 mph with no sync loss. I consider the problem fixed. I was having an issue with a sudden RPM drop while at a stop sign but that seems to have disappeared.
    Shannon

I received my 3.57 box back today from DIY. They created a "solderless mod kit to change input inpedance" to match the 3.0 version. I put the box in the car and took it for a short drive. I can't get up to high speeds in my neighborhood but the car seemed to run well, except for a non-Megasquirt issue. When I got back home I put the car in park and revved the engine to close to redline with no sync loss. It appears that the problem has been fixed. I plan to spend more time on the car Saturday. Now for the fine tuning.
    So was that input impedance the fix? Do you know what input they changed? I would assume the VR coil.
    Dave M vin 03572

Quote Originally Posted by Bitsyncmaster View Post
    So was that input impedance the fix? Do you know what input they changed? I would assume the VR coil.
    I really don't know. I can open the box and take a photo and send to you if you want if you think that will help figure it out.
    Shannon

I really don't know. I can open the box and take a photo and send to you if you want if you think that will help figure it out.
    I don't have a box so was just interested in looking at what they did schematic wise.
    Dave M vin 03572

Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 LastLast