FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Spittybug - Designs for converting stock setup to EFI

That works but you'd have to run a much longer set of wires all the way up there. It's not hard, but we're using premade bundles of wire that really only need to be a few feet long to reach the engine bay - you could splice in more, or you'd have to buy an extra super long bundle to retain the printed and color coded wiring, then junk all but three of the ~20 wires it comes with.

I'm contemplating modifying either the throttle cable spool or the butterfly hinge itself to accommodate a better TPS.

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by opethmike View Post
    I bet one of Bill's manifold's could be used with an adapter plate, perhaps
    Yep, there are a lot of adapters, spread bore/2bbl/4bbl/etc to TBI/EFI.
    I'm wondering why not set everything before the horns aside, build the simplest of aluminum boxes to mate to them, weld one of these (see below) on it, then use a 2.8L GM TBI setup:

Image1.jpg

Or are we avoiding TBI all together?
    Last edited by Ron; 09-24-2011 at 08:02 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I'm wondering why not set everything before the horns aside, build the simplest of aluminum boxes to mate to them....
    Like this?

Quebec_20.jpg

Bill Robertson

Yes, but without welding to anything already there.

I was thinking along the "reversible" and "proven" parameters previously said.
    I'd be looking at the feasibility of drilling the heads and ported if I were going that far.

Another option that I don't think anyone's successfully done is a replacement for the W pipe altogether - mount custom throttle bodies to the existing intake. If we could find some that could be modded (extrudabodies anyone?) we could maybe make an all-in-one solution to the vacuum port/TPS/idle control issue with a custom set of adapters.

That's probably a little too complicated for what we're doing though..

I was thinking similar to that when I thought of the simple box...just make a "T" shaped box if you dont like the horns. Makes for a heck of a highrise. LOL

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Good feedback guys. I really appreciate constructive dialogue.

I was totally unaware that the stock injector holes would take new injectors. Either that or I'm getting more senile every day (wife's hypothesis). I vaguely recall an issue with length too though.....If the tubes are too long, your nice injector spray would end up on tube walls and drip, wouldn't it? In any case some of you guys are doing this and running OK, right? I want to go visualize fuel rails and see if they get in the way.

Dave's idea about a throttle sensor at the pedal has some intrigue, but I'm not sure it becomes any easier mechanically unless someone makes an aftermarket one perhaps?. This is the #1 obstacle I think.

I think the idle air "block" is a no-brainer.

Whether to keep the fuel distributor assembly for the purpose of looking stock and reusing the air cleaner would be up to the owner. I think AdmiralSenn's idea of losing everything on the upstream side of the throttle body and simply making an adapter to go from the throttle body to a nice round or oval "lip" that could receive an air tube, boot or air filter directly (right in the space created by the manifold sides) is probably the cleanest and lightest. Can't believe it would be too hard either. Again, standard build and provides a means to mount the intake air sensor in a standard location.

Keep brainstorming on the TPS!
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

I think I confused things calling the "W" pipe horns?
    (Looks more like horns to a country boy than the plenum does. lol)

Something like this is what I meant.
    ( Keeping the W pipe means a simple box. Set it aside like the AdmiralSenn said means we don't have to mess with the throttle plates and add volume to the plenum)

EFIplenum.jpg

Spitty, you didn't say, or I missed it somewhere along the line, forget TBI?
    Last edited by Ron; 09-24-2011 at 11:40 PM.

Something like this is what I meant (w/o the "Horns"...cut the top of of the "T" for simple box)

EFIplenum.jpg
    Makes sense to me but don't you want some "curves" in the plumbing to flow the air?
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Spitty, you didn't say, or I missed it somewhere along the line, forget TBI?
    Given the success I'm hearing with the injectors in the stock location as well as the fact that our manifolds have such a large internal volume, I don't see an advantage of a wet manifold (TBI). I like the idea of keeping the "horns" or W pipe because they are a gentler transition and are already properly mated to the throttle body and therefore the throttle spool; things that work fine as is, so why mess with them? They also provide a nice, minimal fabrication spot for the idle air block. Admiral's option of creating an air intake adapter is kind of optional in my mind; cleans things up a lot but isn't required so long as the air deflector plate is removed/locked open.

Do we know of anyone running a wet, stock manifold, carb or EFI?
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast