FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: New fiberglass fascia / bumper cover

I have a Torque Wrench... tyb323's Avatar

My VIN:    2399

Club(s):   (DMA)

Quote Originally Posted by DMCNY View Post
    I think I'd much rather prefer the "rigid" cover and black gelcoat.
    So are you saying you never want to be able to install/adjust/remove your headlights? =)
    Tyler Butler
    Vin 2399 - July 81 Black Interior, Automatic

My VIN:    5875

Quote Originally Posted by tyb323 View Post
    So are you saying you never want to be able to install/adjust/remove your headlights? =)
    No, thats not what I'm saying. I'm saying I would want a rigid fiberglass bumper, not a flexable one...I already have one of those.

Why couldn't I install/remove/adjust my headlights?

Have you ever removed/installed or adjusted a headlight on a DeLorean with a stock bumper? It's still no fun task even with the flexability of the bumper IMHO. You still have to be careful not to scratch up the bumper when replacing them.

I think it would be much easier to install your headlights, adjust them and then install your bumper. How often do you need to replace the headlights? How often do you need to readjust them? For me it would be worth the extra effort to pull the bumper to take care of the headlights for as often as they would need attention.

To each thier own on that though.

Flexable fiberglass? Does anybody know about the longevity of that stuff? I sure don't. Never even heard of it.
    Andy Garand

My VIN:    02613

Club(s):   (DCF)

I think it would be much easier to install your headlights, adjust them and then install your bumper.
    Bingo.

This is why my original idea (when I started asking about stiffer front fascias in a different thread some time ago) was to have an entire new mounting scheme for the headlights similar to (but not exactly like) a modern car -- perhaps headlight buckets equipped with studs which poke through holes in the fascia; an access panel in the body would be removed facilitating access to the studs (and adjusting screws, mounted "backwards"). But this would involve heavy redesign/re-engineering and cutting into the fiberglass (!); Houston's solution is much more appropriate for people wishing to keep their car closer to stock form, and I see nothing wrong with it. In fact I hope to get one and cure Sparky's eyebrows permanently!

Farrar
    3.0L, automatic, carbureted

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

I can't say I've ever heard of "Flexible fiberglass". Unless the resin being used has some sort of semi-hardening component too it. Or, the thickness of the lay-up is very thin. Example: If the Fiberglass thickness an resin content were as thick as the OEM urethane , it would tend to be very stiff. That is not to say It wouldn't have some flex to it. Just don't expect it to survive any kind of impact. Either way it's great to see Continued development of cost effective Replacement Parts.
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Current custodian of 2109 Ozzie's Avatar

My VIN:    2109

Club(s):   (DCF)

Wow. ..and I was excited over the new coolant hoses.
    Great job DMCH, keep 'em coming.
    Personal Blog: DeLorean Ownership & Upkeep (Yeah, it hasn't been updated in a while, but some good stuff there if you look.)
    ->Last posting:"Smooth shifting on a 30+ year old car."
    ->Most read posting:"Going 100% LEDs on your car is a good idea, and more feasible than ever."

Alright I may need too eat some crow here. It suppose I should have actually looked at the Photo's at the beginning of this thread before making the previous post Based on comments in the thread.

Hey! I know that Car. Gotta love those Factory PIN STRIPES

That's VERY nice composite work. I can see how this would have some flexibility too it. When I scanned the small picture's the lay-up looked like basic chopped glass and resin. I see now that it is nice woven glass. I am curious what the average thickness is. I'd guess 1/8-3/16. I like the multi-part tool that keeps the OEM Edge lines. I can't imagine having any issues with trim & fit up.

chew chew yuck I HATE FEATHERS! lol
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

DMC Midwest - 815.459.6439 DMCMW Dave's Avatar

My VIN:    (former)05429

If you feel like making a drive you can check it out in person. The car in the pictures will be here tomorrow with the white 'glass fascia still in place.

The car will be up for sale by spring. Without pinstripes!

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
    Dave S
    DMC Midwest - retired but helping
    Greenville SC

I just might do that! I was wondering if it was near the shop or shipped off to parts unknown. It may be the last substantial drive do with the D this fall.
    DENNIS

Nothing witty here lest it offend

* Paying close attention to thread and listening for pricing *
    *cough*
    Last edited by SamHill; 10-31-2011 at 03:43 PM. Reason: I'm the boss. Need the infoooooo.

DMC Texas 800-872-3621 or +1-281-441-2537 DMCH James's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 10570 and 6776

Club(s):   (AZ-D) (DMA) (SCDC) (DCUK)

Until we've had a chance to inspect the fascia in person, and spend a little time with it, there will be no pricing update. If we want changes or modifications, all that will have an effect on the price. That said, I want it as soon as possible, too!

James

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast