FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cineman - #01748 3.0lt twin turbo - Italy

My VIN:    #01748 #20011 #10902

Cineman - #01748 3.0lt twin turbo - Italy

Hello all!
    Invited here to contribute to the EFI discussions

On my 3.0lt PRV, evenfiring, I'm using a factory Renault ECU, called "Fenix 3A" .
    Is the same kind of ECU that the original engine came from the factory, but from another car, cause the original one was lock coded.

There are really few informations about this ecus on the web, and there are lot different types ( Fenix 1, 3A, 3B... etc ).
    Is quite easy to modify the fuel and timing maps, but all the other values are not always known, and some forums exist for this Fenix informations, but is not so much.
    I think it should be similar to the original ECU of the Eagles 3.0 engines.

I plan to pass to megasquirt in the future for this problems: i can make it run nicely but i have problem with the cold enrichment and external temperature, sometimes it goes too rich and at the moment i cant find how to modify in the Eprom.
    Or I completely change the maps in the winter ^_^

Tuner Pro, the software for mapping i'm using.

A naked Fenix 3

Some shot of the mess... i usually put things in and i make them nice just in the end

Engine before the intercooler

ECU and wiring. It works! The little card is a TTL-USB adapter for reading the data stream of the ECU.

3.0 Intake
    Andrea - #01748 3.0lt Twin Turbo EFI, custom brakes, suspensions, manual trans - black interior -
    PRV's lover. Club Italiano Delorean www.dmc12.it

My VIN:    7176

Club(s):   (DCH)

Amazing stuff Andrea! Am I right in thinking that your engine came out of a Safrane Biturbo? Did you have to ditch all the original EFI setup and put on your own to make it work in the DeLorean?
    | DCUK 027 | VIN 7176 | London, UK |

My VIN:    06960

Am I correct in assuming that is the single-chamber plenum intake manifold? (Like the B280 and Eagle engines) Not the dual-plenum one?
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

It is MAINLY based on the Safrane Biturbo engine, but is lot more modified. In the other topic in the custom page there's the list of the things from what engine and what from others ( Safrane, Alpine, Espace etc ).
    The engine management and electric loom is not from Safrane, just the big fuel injectors. All the electrical, sensors etc is redone.

The intake is the single plenum like the 3.0lt versione you have in the USA.
    Andrea - #01748 3.0lt Twin Turbo EFI, custom brakes, suspensions, manual trans - black interior -

Andrea - this may seem like a stupid question - but can I ask why you've had to go as custom as you have? To what extent was this level of customisation essential to make the engine work? How much of it was your choice to optimise the engine's performance in this installation? Because peak power is similar to the original Safrane unit isn't it?

For anyone thinking of doing anything similar it would be nice to know what the simplest way of doing a swap like this would be - it may well be that yours is the simplest, I just thought I'd ask!

Quote Originally Posted by jerzybondov View Post
    Andrea - this may seem like a stupid question - but can I ask why you've had to go as custom as you have? To what extent was this level of customisation essential to make the engine work? How much of it was your choice to optimise the engine's performance in this installation? Because peak power is similar to the original Safrane unit isn't it?

For anyone thinking of doing anything similar it would be nice to know what the simplest way of doing a swap like this would be - it may well be that yours is the simplest, I just thought I'd ask!
    Quite all the customization is just for adapting the engine to fit the Delorean. As usual there is the lower crankcase swap for fitting another PRV to the delorean, and in this case also modified for the turbos oil returns.
    An engine directly taken from a Safrane will never fit in dimensions, oil and water connections, and also exahust and turbos, wich on the safrane are completely different, also because the engine is mounted transversal in the car. the two headers of the safrane are one very different from the other and also the 2 turbos and will never fit the delorean. The same for the original intake system.
    The power is very similar because in fact i have no big mods in the most important things of the engine: pistons, heads, cams...are right the one of the safrane, and the turbos i'm using are really a bit smaller than the safrane's one, but i'm pusing more PSI.
    Another differences are the valves and timing cover: for using the Delorean AC compressor for exaple i cant not keep the Safrane one. The Safrane also use a balancing mechanism on one of the heads for the position of the engine, and i took it off. For using the Alpine valve cover, wich are similar and the AC suit to them, i had to grind some casting inside them to be clear with the valves tappets.
    The Safrane engine also has a REAR spark distributor, and with our dome suspension bar it would not fit, and i used the Alpine timing cover because it has a front hole for another spark distributor...
    I tried lot of different solutions, and this is my 2nd turbo PRV in the car, but in the end i came to the end that the most original parts i use from Renault, the most i'm sure they works and cause no problem
    That's one of the reason i prefered to find a turbo PRV from factory, even if it was not cheap to find out.

Very impressive stuff Andrea!!

Hi guys,
    I bought a megasquirt II, v3 kit for saying goodbye to the original renault ECU
    I think i will receive the kit in the next week... i started to read manuals and download software but is still a bit obscure where i have to start... i'm sure you will have suggest to what i can read first, during this days i wait
    I think i will use TunerStudio.
    I know i will have to test and use the "Renix 44-2-2" trigger.
    I have low impedance injector, i will have to make some PWM settings...or do you suggest to use resistors ?
    I was planning to put in all the fixed value i know, and use my old values of fuel and timing from the other tuner program i had, i should get something working... than i should work on the things i dont know and experiment with cold enrichment, accell enrich, and all the correction.

I did put a pair of quick build intercoolers for now, but i want to design and make 2 complete coustom ones to use most area i can in the future.

My VIN:    16951

Club(s):   (DCO) (DOA) (DCUK)

Awesome job, as usual

My VIN:    01955

This is one beast of a Delorean! Awesome job and awesome mods!!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast