FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Cineman - #01748 3.0lt twin turbo - Italy

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Quote Originally Posted by cineman View Post
    Hi guys,
    I bought a megasquirt II, v3 kit for saying goodbye to the original renault ECU
    I think i will receive the kit in the next week... i started to read manuals and download software but is still a bit obscure where i have to start... i'm sure you will have suggest to what i can read first, during this days i wait
    I think i will use TunerStudio. Buy the full version, you will love the real time auto tune feature
    I know i will have to test and use the "Renix 44-2-2" trigger.
    I have low impedance injector, i will have to make some PWM settings...or do you suggest to use resistors ? Make sure you have the flyback circuitry in place. There are also some settings on the injectors setup page that are a little different for low impedance.
    I was planning to put in all the fixed value i know, and use my old values of fuel and timing from the other tuner program i had, i should get something working... than i should work on the things i dont know and experiment with cold enrichment, accell enrich, and all the correction.
    It looks great! I think that once you get familiar with MS you will love it. Use the forum boards to get more help. There is currently a lot of work going on to improve the idle condition when loads kick in (such as A/C). A combination of idle advance and idle air controller movement looks to be the solution. Stay tuned (no pun intended!)
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

My VIN:    #01748 #20011 #10902

Ok, kit arrived and i'm mouting it.
    Already did the first comunicaitions test and all is ok.
    My first quest: for using and idle motor like the original 3 wires, what setup did you installed ? the one for PWM idle valve? i dont think is stepper, or i'm wrong ?
    tnx !
    Andrea - #01748 3.0lt Twin Turbo EFI, custom brakes, suspensions, manual trans - black interior -
    PRV's lover. Club Italiano Delorean www.dmc12.it

My VIN:    06960

Quote Originally Posted by cineman View Post
    My first quest: for using and idle motor like the original 3 wires, what setup did you installed ? the one for PWM idle valve? i dont think is stepper, or i'm wrong ?
    tnx !
    Easiest solution is to ignore idle control on the Megasquirt, and leave the stock computer/motor in place. Use a configurable output from the Megasquirt to simulate the idle switch. It would be very difficult to get Megasquirt to match or exceed the original idle capabilities of this car.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    Easiest solution is to ignore idle control on the Megasquirt, and leave the stock computer/motor in place. Use a configurable output from the Megasquirt to simulate the idle switch. It would be very difficult to get Megasquirt to match or exceed the original idle capabilities of this car.
    thanks dmc6960, but i dont have an original engine and setup on my car: I'm replacing a renault "renix" ecu for my 3.0, and this ecu controls an idle motor 3 wires like the one on the delorean, but i dont have a separate idle ecu, so i have to control it with the megasquirt. If is not possible, i will have to not use it or find another type of idle motor, but i would like to keep the harness and sensors i already have for this ecu
    Andrea - #01748 3.0lt Twin Turbo EFI, custom brakes, suspensions, manual trans - black interior -

My VIN:    06960

I knew your engine isn't stock, but at some point you had a stock idle ECU though, right?

Megasquirt with a few mods CAN control a 3-wire PWM idle motor, but it will not be as refined as the stock computer.

If you no longer have that ECU then may I suggest Dave's new ECU...
    http://dmctalk.org/showthread.php?14...olled-idle-ECU
    Since your directly splicing wires anyways, there would be no need for an original ECU housing, just put in a generic box. The idle control only needs 3 pieces of hardware. Temp sensor (thermistor in coolant Y-pipe), ECU unit, and idle motor. Only parts I don't know for sure is the compatibility between your existing motor and the DMC/Volvo ones Dave designed his unit around, and I don't think it's been tested on an even-fire engine since Dave optimized the tach sense for the odd-fire.
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

I knew your engine isn't stock, but at some point you had a stock idle ECU though, right?

Megasquirt with a few mods CAN control a 3-wire PWM idle motor, but it will not be as refined as the stock computer.

Since your directly splicing wires anyways, there would be no need for an original ECU housing, just put in a generic box. The idle control only needs 3 pieces of hardware. Temp sensor (thermistor in coolant Y-pipe), ECU unit, and idle motor. Only parts I don't know for sure is the compatibility between your existing motor and the DMC/Volvo ones Dave designed his unit around, and I don't think it's been tested on an even-fire engine since Dave optimized the tach sense for the odd-fire.
    Ok, i still have the original idle ecu and sensor around, but i take everything off the car. I dont have more an original Y pipe, so no hole for it ^^ and i will need to put it somewhere, if i use it.
    But i still would like to try to use the Megasquirt, do you have more informations or link about using the 3 wires motor ?
    My idea is that i have a Renix renault harness now, and i would like to keep it this way so in case of ECU problem i can quickly switch back to original Renault ECU . I will be have an adapter for attaching the megasquirt to the same Renault connector. Any info on running the 3 wires is appreciated thanks again for the help !

"Former Delorean owning Guru" Spittybug's Avatar

My VIN:    Formerly 2329

Cineman..... the MSII unit is fully capable of driving a GM style stepper idle air controller valve (4 wire) right out of the box. The key is the creation of the correct housing to hold the IAC. This shows you a generic one that can be mounted anywhere: http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/c...alve-p-69.html Attached are a couple of shots I just took of the first one we have built for the stock engine conversion project. Either one will accept an IAC such as this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/IDLE-AIR-CON...ht_2624wt_1139 There is NO benefit to paying for an expensive version of this thing, they are all comparable to the best of my knowledge. The nose, or pintle, moves in and out in the hole of the aluminum block. The megasquirt has a setup page to precisely define how many "steps" to fully seat (no air) and how many to back off (open) depending on the engine temperature.

Jim (and others) are strong proponents of keeping the stock idle air controller. I have no issue when they work well, but many seem to be failing with age. The pipe that the cold start valve sits on and continues down under the fuel unit to the manifold hole is also in the way for our stock conversion design (gets in the way of the fuel rail) and we don't need the cold start anyway. The above part is cheap and easy to replace and fully configurable using megasquirt.

Looking forward to hearing about your progress.
    Attached Images
    Owen
    I.Brew.Beer.

I understand the reason around an original engine with his intakes and hoses, but my preference would be not to change my actual idle speed motor. wich is very similar to the delorean OEM but more modern: i already have a complete EFI system, ecu, harness, sensors, tps on the car...all OEM Renault, adapted from various PRV engines... wich controls everything, but the ECU Renix is not enought known to modify particular values like accell enrichment and others: that's why i'm going to megasquirt, to have a complete control and not just fuel and timing tables ...so it would be a pity to change my actual idle motor, hoses... cause if i need i can't put again the OEM Renault ECU, and i have more than once spare, and also i have a Renault Alpine GTA turbo, so i cross parts around cars... does someone knows a link or documentation about modify on board or software i can do to make at least work a bit a 3 wires motor ? dmc6960, you said it work not good like the original system, but working would still be better than not working at all

Ok, maybe i think i have to use the PWM idle system 2wires of the MS, but use another output with the same pwm frequency but with the complementary pulse witdh...each of the 2 output to the side of the motor, center to 12v... it seems someone did it and it works...

My VIN:    03572

It should make no difference with my ECU or the stock ECU running even fire or odd fire. Both ECUs use the timing of two tack pulses to read RPM.
    Dave M vin 03572
    http://dm-eng.weebly.com/

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast