FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: is DMC planning on doing this and if so , how close are they to doing it successfully

My VIN:    10186

is DMC planning on doing this and if so , how close are they to doing it successfully

ive read on here where there have been debates/arguments over how DMCH calls there cars "new build" even though they are restored cars from the factory. at the same time , i see how DMCH is building new underbodies as well as now new fascia's . to me it looks like they are working towards remaking every part of the DMC-12 over a course of time, so my question is this: with all these items that DMCH is making again, Do they plan on trying to build a true "New Build" or is it something to just boost there current inventory?

2nd question: with the existing blank vin-plate DMC has, can they legally stamp them and use them towards new builds or are they more or less just paper weights?

Builder of the first Delorean Time Machine

My VIN:    2072

Club(s):   (SEDOC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by timothymoore View Post
    2nd question: with the existing blank vin-plate DMC has, can they legally stamp them and use them towards new builds or are they more or less just paper weights?
    That would be very illegal.

They can't issue new VINs without passing modern safety and emissions requirements. I don't think they have even close to enough capital to pull that off, despite the years old solstice rumors…..

--buddy

I'm saying illegal and not even paper weights as James said they would no sell them. I suppose they are more just a piece of history that they can show off but not market.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Quote Originally Posted by sean View Post
    I'm saying illegal and not even paper weights as James said they would no sell them. I suppose they are more just a piece of history that they can show off but not market.
    i see, i guess i just figured that with the new parts they seem to be having made , it could only be a matter of time before they actually attempted a truly new build.

i see, i guess i just figured that with the new parts they seem to be having made , it could only be a matter of time before they actually attempted a truly new build.
    Well I asked to purchase one because I though it would make for a cool framed piece but JE said nope.
    eBay selling at it's best I can tell you stock Delorians and quite a bit of slugs so the Turbo is a super nice up-grade.
    K-Jet: Causing electrical issues since November 5th 1955

Nit-picking customer(as seen on TV) Iznodmad's Avatar

My VIN:    #5000 (Grey, manual, SS chassis, intercooled twin turbo), #16128 (Grey, auto, efi twin turbo), #888

Club(s):   (DCVA) (SEDOC) (DCUK)

I have seen more than one unstamped VIN plate in private hands. So DMCH does not have them all.

If they arent/cant do anything with them, then why not destroy them? i think it would be exciting to see a true new build with today's technology. imagine a D with a new mustang 4.0 310 hp motor getting 30 mpg or perhaps a D with a coyote. that would be badass.
    Last edited by timothymoore; 10-30-2011 at 03:10 PM.

I survived....I think AirmanPika's Avatar

My VIN:    5087

They could have uses down the road, just not now. It would be a neat throwback if at some point DMC did start building actual new cars from the ground up that could recieve a real VIN, and utilized the original VIN plates from the original DMC-12 run.

One of those purists you keep hearing about. sdg3205's Avatar

My VIN:    thirty two 'o five

Club(s):   (PNDC)

Quote Originally Posted by AirmanPika View Post
    They could have uses down the road, just not now. It would be a neat throwback if at some point DMC did start building actual new cars from the ground up that could recieve a real VIN, and utilized the original VIN plates from the original DMC-12 run.
    With a brand new, "DeLorean" designed and built V8 engine!
    Dave

Here, somewhere.

This is very true!

I don't know if "New Build's" are leaving Houston as 2011, 2012 etc. but I do know that if the engine was modified in any way, they can use an old vin to re-build an older vehicle but by law it must conform to that year emmission requirements and title must show it is a 2011 vehicle if it was rebuilt on that year, regardles of when that vin was originally issued.

Levy.

Quote Originally Posted by nullset View Post
    That would be very illegal.

They can't issue new VINs without passing modern safety and emissions requirements. I don't think they have even close to enough capital to pull that off, despite the years old solstice rumors…..

--buddy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast