FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Restore engine to original HP?

My VIN:    701

Restore engine to original HP?

I was wondering if it's possible to restore engine to original power, that is 170HP, which was originally projected.
    Does the removal of catalyst increase engine power?
    Or what is the difference between European and US models in engine?

My VIN:    3816

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

The catalytic converter is part of it, but I believe there is more to it than that. Not sure about the details.

My VIN:    10186

i beleive that in the european models that the whole Lambda system was deleted from the car in order to produce that HP rating, im pretty sure i read that somewhere on this board but i may be wrong. i think timing was different too but i may very well be wrong on that too.

My VIN:    06960

There is no "original" HP of 170 for the DeLorean. The original HP was 130. The car was made for an American market therefore got all the US emission approved versions of the PRV.

If you want a PRV as decked out as much as possible in 1981, then you need all European components for the engine. B28E camshafts, B28E Ignition Distributor, B28E Pistons (9.8:1), B28E CPR, B28E fuel metering venturi, B28E Fuel Distributor, B28E Throttle Body (or plates), and a CAT-less exhaust.

That will put you near 170hp.
    Last edited by dmc6960; 10-31-2011 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Forgot the B28E Pistons!
    Jim Reeve
    DMC6960

D-Status: - Getting some Spring exercise

Question

Quote Originally Posted by dmc6960 View Post
    If you want a PRV as decked out as much as possible in 1981, then you need all European components for the engine. B28E Ignition Distributor, B28E Pistons (9.8:1), B28E CPR, B28E fuel metering venturi, B28E Fuel Distributor, B28E Throttle Body (or plates)
    Where do you find these? Are they a true "bolt-on"?

Motors about after dark Michael's Avatar

My VIN:    Banged your VIN'S mom

Quote Originally Posted by DeloreanJoshQ View Post
    I would'nt classify pistons or camshafts as "bolt-ons"
    http://dmctalk.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=90&dateline=161808992  9

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

Quote Originally Posted by DeloreanJoshQ View Post
    We buy these from the UK a lot for owners here by request. Not too difficult to find what you need if you know the right people.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    7176

Club(s):   (DCH)

A stock B28E engine puts out 156bhp. This is the euro-spec engine the DeLorean would have had, should it have ever been sold in Europe. Not entirely sure where the 170bhp figure came from - although interestingly it is the output of the subsequent B280E engine (EFI) that came out in 1985 or so.

Jim was right with the different parts on the B28E - aside from the cams. We've compared them - they're the same as on the B28F.

From various dyno runs of cars in the UK with varying specs, it would seem that losing the cat and going to a freeflow exhaust can liberate perhaps 15bhp and adding the Volvo fuelling adds 5bhp. The higher compression is responsible for another 5-10bhp if you're lucky.
    | DCUK 027 | VIN 7176 | London, UK |

President, DeLorean Industries

My VIN:    5646,5080, 5880, 10234, 3639, 2518, 10586, 1538

You can base circle cut american cams to be very close to the uk profile to a close duration. This is what we did at first. I'm a fan of a more aggressive profile due to noise providing output at higher RPM's where K jet naturally leans out in stock form.

If it wasn't completely distasteful I would post the specs for our three cam options, stegers, houstons stage II and euro cams with the degree drawings and dyno results. (These are framed in our show room on the wall behind the couch) Testing has concluded that more aggressive is not always better. Flow and velocity are crazy beasts. Its easy to kill one or the other with duration, porting, timing etc.

Hands down the best NA performance mod to date is a 2.8 bottom end, uk dizzy, aggressive cams in modified premier 3.0 heads running fuel injection only with an exhaust.
    www.deloreanindustries.com Every Detail Matters

My VIN:    5180

Club(s):   (DMWC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DPI JOSH View Post
    Hands down the best NA performance mod to date is a 2.8 bottom end, uk dizzy, aggressive cams in modified premier 3.0 heads running fuel injection only with an exhaust.
    How about a DYNO Chart to with this Frankenstein ?
    DENNIS

VIN 5180, Frame 3652, STAGE II​, DM-eng Solid State Solutions (RPM Rly, Dm.Lt.Mod., Fan Fail Mod. , FAN Rly, HS.Rly) , HID headlights, SPAX user since 2009, Eibach springs, M Adj. Rear LCA's, DPNW poly-sway bar kit, DMCEU LCA Stabilizer link kit, DMCMW Illuminated door sills, Aussie Illuminated SS Shifter plate, REAL MOMO EVO Steering wheel, DELOREANA Extended View Side Mirrors w/ Heaters, DELOREANA LED Door Lights.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast