FRAMING JOHN DELOREAN - ON VOD www.framingjohndeloreanfilm.com
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do things inside your door clang when you hit bumps? Did you figure out how to quiet?

At the DCO tech day (Sean Lowe hosted) today we took the door apart.
    I found two nuts and a washer in the bottom of the door. There was a missing bolt and nut that holds the window regulator to a bracket in the door. The top black plate below the drop glass had a bunch of loose screws.... After I went through all of the bolts and screws and tightened them up (also did the clear plastic hose over rods where they hit metal parts, thanks!), no more squeaks and rattles!

Thanks!!

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by DeloreanJoshQ View Post
    At the DCO tech day (Sean Lowe hosted) today we took the door apart.
    I found two nuts and a washer in the bottom of the door. There was a missing bolt and nut that holds the window regulator to a bracket in the door. The top black plate below the drop glass had a bunch of loose screws.... After I went through all of the bolts and screws and tightened them up (also did the clear plastic hose over rods where they hit metal parts, thanks!), no more squeaks and rattles!

Thanks!!
    Right on, my first helpful post ;-) I've been absorbing way more knowledge than I've given back so I'm pleased to have suggested something useful to you. I had a few floating screws in mine as well - and, to add insult to injury, the remnants of my power mirror switch that exploded. Those stupid little ball bearings and rollers are remarkably non-ferrous... so fishing them out with a magnet took the better part of an afternoon

Congrats on a successful door quieting!

My VIN:    10644

Quote Originally Posted by jawn101 View Post
    What I did to quiet it: Get some 1/4" (I believe this was the diameter I used... it was exactly the diameter of the lock rods) clear vinyl tubing, about 2 feet for both doors. This will run you about a buck and is available at any hardware store.

Remove the upper and lower interior door panel. Find the places where your rods criss-cross or pass thru the small holes. Cut small lengths of the tubing and slit it up the middle. Install the tubing around the rods and tape it down with electrical tape. Test the movement of every rod by actuating the controls attached to it to ensure that you aren't going to catch your new tubing on anything - if you are, make the tubing longer. You really just need to avoid catching the 'lip' of the new tubing on anything.

This really helped quiet my car down going over bumps and didn't impact the functionality of any of the mechanisms.
    I read this years ago and even remembered to buy some tubing maybe two years ago, but finally got around to trying it today. I probably added only about 9" of tubing on 2 rods and the exterior door handle cable. My door is SILENT for the first time in a while. I'd just grown to be used to all the clanging in the door, but with an investment of maybe 5 minutes of work, the experience of driving my car around is significantly upleveled. Thanks for this tip!
    Christian Williams, Bay Area
    #3452 from 2000-2005
    #10644 since 2015

My friends think I'm nuts jawn101's Avatar

My VIN:    02100

Club(s):   (NCDMC) (DCUK)

Quote Originally Posted by BladeBronson View Post
    I read this years ago and even remembered to buy some tubing maybe two years ago, but finally got around to trying it today. I probably added only about 9" of tubing on 2 rods and the exterior door handle cable. My door is SILENT for the first time in a while. I'd just grown to be used to all the clanging in the door, but with an investment of maybe 5 minutes of work, the experience of driving my car around is significantly upleveled. Thanks for this tip!
    Aw, yay! I’m so glad it worked for you.
    Jon
    1981 DMC-12 #02100. July 1981. 5-speed, black, grooved w/flap.
    restoration log, March 2011 to present
    full and detailed photo restoration log

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2